Just about done with orientation. Almost time to roll!

Discussion in 'Melton' started by Triad, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Triad

Triad Light Load Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Columbus, OH

It is 70 degrees here in Alabama where I'm sitting for the weekend and the first thing I did was take my tarpa out and reroll them. Heh heh. Much easier.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dennisroc

dennisroc Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Anjung-Ri, South Korea
    It would be nice if it was always 70 when you had to do that. :) That is one thing that I think I would really hate, having to tarp and chain in bad weather.
    How long do you spend on average securing most loads ? I have been working over here in Korea for the last 8 years and sometimes I am outside in the weather and winter sucks here.
    Now I am interested in trucking and also flat bed but then I think van or reefer might be better to stay out of the weather.
    Every year I say this is the last year I am working outside. A few days ago I am working outside for a while 3 am and 13 degrees and thinking I could be sitting in a warm truck. Lol

4. jsprocket

jsprocket Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Columbus, GA
    Yep I got to come home yesterday amd nice 75 today in Columbus ga

5. Triad

Triad Light Load Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I'm new so maybe 3-4 hours tops, 2-3 average spent securing and tarping. I'm learning tricks and getting tips and advice as I go to be faster, but it'll take time to really learn. Anything in the 30s is comfortable weather with a coat on for working in, really not too bothered by cold. Lower than that and I need somethinf to keep my ears warm and my fingers get cold.

dennisroc Thanks this.
  6. DragonHalo99

DragonHalo99 Light Load Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    hey guys melton has me set up to head to orientation this sunday. Im kinda worried about the tarping how heavy are those tarps? I'm skinny and I dont have much muscle on me so I dont know how well I would handle tarping any advice would be appreciated.

7. DragonHalo99

Apr 29, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I am willing too not give up easily.

8. Flatbedn

Flatbedn Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Missouri
    We use 3 piece tarps so they aren't bad at all. I saw a women doing it at the Laredo terminal.

9. DragonHalo99

Apr 29, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Can someone give me a rundown of the physical test in orientation?

10. Flatbedn

Flatbedn Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Missouri
    Urine test, hair test and then the physical is basic stuff and then they have you lift 3 different tarps. I think heaviest was 90 pounds.

DragonHalo99 Thanks this.
  11. DragonHalo99

Apr 29, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I guess this will be fun for me. Lots of exercise and hurting too go through while i get back in shape. I will also take this opportunity too wish everyone a happy new year. Hmm I should also take the opportunity to start figuring out how to eat better on the road :/

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.