Just getting into the O/O world

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by NeilCartwright, Mar 7, 2019.

1. NeilCartwright

NeilCartwright Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2019
    I wanted to run my situation past some of the guys here, and see if im doing everything by the book.

-Currently active duty military. An officer, but want to get into trucking.
    -Going to buy a used truck, less than 500k miles, between 30-40k. I wont have my CDL, but will put a driver in it. Right now im looking at primarily doing dry van.
    -Going to be running out of Atlanta, hoping to stay regional.
    -Get situated with a smaller 3rd party company. (im shopping around now). Some are paying by the mile, some by the load, and some are percentage.
    -Once i find a driver, we'll decide on a pay cut for both of us. Some are saying 50/50, 60/40, etc
    -Do right by the guy or girl. Im not out here to screw anyone over, just looking to make a living for my family after the military. Even though i wont be driving i wanted to create an environment where its mutually beneficial.

Long term goal is to have a fleet of 5 trucks. There's guy in Atlanta who has his own authority, doesn't have his CDL, but has about 11 trucks he manages. Another guy in florida who has a couple trucks, doesn't drive, but he runs under the 3rd party's authority. He also lets the 3rd party book the loads for the driver and splits the pay 50/50 w/the driver. He and the driver net about 1000 per week each, so its working out.

Am i missing anything here? I know there's some miscellaneous stuff like tags, GPS in the truck in case the driver up and leaves it somewhere, fuel costs etc.

But is my train of though correct? I figured once i buy that truck, the payment is coming whether i have money coming in or not.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Drivers, especially good ones, are hard to find and even harder to retain. $40,000 trucks are not very reliable and expensive to fix. If you’re getting your own numbers many brokers will only use you as a last resort. Atlanta is also close to FL which is the biggest dead zone for outgoing freight in the country. Good luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.