Just got a citation for unauthorized vehicle

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by NickL, Nov 14, 2019.

1. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Where at on 94?

And what are you doing STAYING in the left lane?

If you were in illinois,Don't play dumb now- All Plazas allow trucks thru EZ pass left lanes- But when your done...Make your way right.

I believe you just sat out there for awhile......Pay the Ticket

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If it is a unauthroized USE of a vehicle and it's a 18 wheeler it will be branded as such on the DAC and since it's a formal ticket as such it will be very hard to refute or defend. Employers in trucking will see that and say NYET, No Nien, forgetaboutit etc. It will be months before you get a yes.

If it is a private vehicle and the owner you took it from does not want to press theft charges or its not reported as stolen etec then that ticket is a sort of get out of jail free kind. You don't get arrested. But it's a ticket that falls in between light tickets like failure to obey traffic lane, signs, lights etc. And much more serious tickets that involve theft.

You are required to report tickets once a year to your employer so for a private ticket its worth a lawyer to get it down to some other charge and pay the 40 dollars plus lawyer fee or whatever so long you don't have to report to employer Unauthroized use etc. To their eyes it's the same as stealing. Because that is the brand they use against those drivers who do swipe the 18 wheeler without permission or outrageously go out of route etc and got fired for it.

I actually had at one employer that particular charge against me in DAC when one of their tractors vanished for a few days. (Car was in shop, but they are not that kind of employer and don't care. nothing you can say makes it ok) Eventually it was found back at the yard and that was another story. And so thats the end of that one.

Since that particular company actually went out of business about 6 weeks after firing me, that entire episode got swept under the rug it never made the DAC that time. Or it would have been two times it did. That would really be bad. So yea I have history with that. Since it's like 30+ years ago, no one cares anymore. Even if it did no one is probably left alive to verify that charge anyway. Time has a way of erasing problems when you wait long enough.

The ticket itself is not a big deal provided you are not arrested. Thats the biggie. And again if it's a CMV 18 wheeler or whatever it's going to be branded into DAC and everything else. These days it's a problem for those who have that against them because they just became unhireable for a while. Like months.

Now another scenario that comes to my mind thinking on this would be say Atlanta catching you downtown in a section of road that is absolute banned to trucks. Or perhaps Virgina catching you across the American Legion Bridge on I-495 in the left two lanes near DC. We used to use all 4 lanes in a herd going through there all the time until the late 80's when they banned the trucks from the left two lanes. With the cameras they have there now it's not hard to pull the revelant tag, unit number YOU and enough pictures and video to write a pretty damning ticket to both you and your company for being that far left. I also think its a 500 or 1000 dollar ticket. Im not current on those. But some areas will hit you bad for it.

It's still the same as a traffic control ticket just hit you very hard economically. Especially in a big rig. Another scenario is the HOV lanes Using a blow up doll or sneaking through with a semi and getting caught etc. That would be that kind of ticket as well.

Tickets tickets tickets. HA.

4. MGE Dawn

MGE Dawn Road Train Member

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    Just don't let them "downgrade" it to a seatbelt violation... works fine in a passenger vehicle with a normal license, but is actually WORSE with a CDL

baha Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.