Just got back from the road with prime

Discussion in 'Prime' started by NO-WAY-OUT!!, Jun 2, 2010.

1. rcd127

rcd127 Medium Load Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Madison, AL
    I am going back to Prime to finish my training tomorrow. I had done about 4 months from Dec09 to Mar10. Then I went back to my old job (PLC Programmer) the pay was just to good. It was a temp job. I got about 50K miles in during that 4 months. When I called my FM about rehire he said I would Have to pass a new physical and do 40K more miles before going solo. Oh well. It just so happens my former trainer was just coming back himself. So we are going to hook up and get a brand new lease truck. Be safe out there guys.

Rich

one37 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AZ CATS

AZ CATS Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Tucson,AZ
    Well good luck to you. It should be much easier this time since you already have a relationship with the trainer. I think that is a big part of completing the training. If you both get along makes life much easier.:biggrin_25514:

4. revslev

revslev Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I have been pre-approved by Prime, Central, Stevens, and Swift. I have been looking to see where I want to start my new career. It really seems that Prime is the only logical choice. The training you all describe is actual training (not to mention the pay is better). My Sis-in-Law went to an outside school, went with one of the other companies, was placed with a crappy trainer who not only didn't train, but ran over a stop sign and a tree, left the scene and was paranoid for the next hour (stuck in traffic) looking for cops. She is now back at the terminal trying to decide if she is going to stay or look for somewhere else. She is due to be on her own and she does not feel that she is ready to drive a truck solo. I am a firm believer in "you can't build anything sound without a strong foundation". I will be hopefully starting with Prime the first week of Feb 11.
    Thanks to you all for helping me make my choice...looks like Prime is the only way to go.

one37 Thanks this.
  5. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    Best of luck! You will do fine with that attitude!

revslev and one37 Thank this.
  6. tdcanterbury67

tdcanterbury67 Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2010
    michigan
    i leave for prime jan 3 then leave out with my trainer on the 9th or 10th so im on my way how was it on the road with your trainer and did you get home anytime during the training i really dont want to come home until im all done and ready to get my truck..

7. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    But,please,READ all the posts on Prime.....so you know what your getting into..

123456 and revslev Thank this.
  8. revslev

revslev Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I have been looking over these posts almost daily for about a week I think now. I have read the good, the bad, and the ugly, but I have read them for almost every company in this forum. My main interest is in the training. I am an old Jarhead, so I am used to getting the new Marines who after 13 weeks of training thought they understood the Corps and were ready for anything. The majority of them find out all to quickly that they had learned about enough to get themselves into situations they were not equipped to handle. To me training takes time, actual time doing what it is your are supposed to be doing, and Prime, in my opinion, offers me the greatest advantage to do just that. Have the time on the road with someone who knows what they are doing to assist me in situations I would not otherwise be equipped to handle. Just my thoughts, and I do thank you for your advice.
    Hopefully see you on the road somewhere out there.

one37 Thanks this.
  9. tdcanterbury67

tdcanterbury67 Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2010
    michigan
    well i will tell you all one thing i have been on my own sinces ive been 14 and now im 43 training been doing along time ive owned my own business for 15 years and i built homes so training everyday im ready for anything anyone wants to throw my way its time for a new career in my life time to get some retirement had all the fun i wanted while working for my self time to get it done now while i still can i will make it count on that!!!!:biggrin_255:

10. popmartian

popmartian Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    I would like to share my experience with you. I got my CDL in 2006 at a driving school and was recruited imediately by a "National Carrier". I was told I would be a trainee for 4-6 weeks at 300 bucks per week. I would get my own truck and earn 28 cpm as a company driver. Going out on the road was such an adventure, but my trainer was the worst smelling human I have ever been around in my life. I endured the Farts and Belches and finally got assigned my own truck. The company sent me to every corner of the USA. I drove solo from Miami, Fl to Sea-Tec, Wa , Los angeles, Ca to Boston Ma criss-crossing the US. I spent a lot of days and nights running on the Lincoln Highway (I-80) during the cold winter of 2006 ans 2007. 2006 was the beginning of a New Life. There were good days and bad days but in the end it made me a better person and have grown emotionally and spritually as a result.

There are sacrifices and there are also rewards. Being away for four to six weeks is tough. Sometimes your family/friends will be thousands of miles away keeping you awake on the phone while driving on a dark lonely highway across Idaho or Montana. And the rewards come in many differernt forms One is watching the sun set over the Pacific Ocean in Santa Monica Ca or visiting the Jefferson Memorial and Washington Monument in D.C. Becoming a Trucker allowes you to see this wonderful place we know and love as the USA. If you love to travel and get paid to do it then this can be a great way to live.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
    one37 Thanks this.
  11. One Eyed Sailor

One Eyed Sailor Bobtail Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Sharpsville, Pa
    Will Be at the campus Inn tommorow as I put my trainee on the simulator. Look me up, anyone, if you are in orientation, will be glad to show you around and answer any questions.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.