Just got hired at Werner

Discussion in 'Werner' started by phroziac, Sep 25, 2009.

1. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    Hey, I posted asking a few questions about Werner previously, and I just wanted to say....I am now a werner driver. :) I will be posting my experience here as it goes. I have previous trucking experience but it was a year ago, so I'm getting OTR training for 140 hours and then I get my own truck. :) Eventually my GF will be riding with me.

Anyway.....I don't have a laptop yet (thats my first purchase!!) so it may be awhile before I post again. I'm on a public computer at the hotel here in Indianapolis. :) Just waiting for the call from my trainer saying hes here...should be about 30 minutes. :D

I hope this goes well, but I'm going to stick with it for 1 year regardless.

luvtheroad Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lazow1md

lazow1md Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Cleveland, OH
    Look forward to your posts, will be very intersted to know what is going on working with Werner.

4. crabby125s girl

crabby125s girl Heavy Load Member

May 11, 2009
    How did it work out with your gf riding with you? My bf is a werner driver and he thought for christmas he'd like me to ride with him but I hear some companies only let wives ride, not gf's. Werner let's girlfriends ride?

5. ordinaryguy

ordinaryguy Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Indianapolis, IN
    as far as i know girlfriends can ride too, your bf will hafta get insurance for you for 11 bucks a week..that is all

6. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

*cough cough* Don't ask,,, *cough* don't tell.

7. tiresONtar

tiresONtar Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Wishin' you well at your new job. Look forward to the posts!

8. crabby125s girl

crabby125s girl Heavy Load Member

May 11, 2009
  9. rapatorr

rapatorr Bobtail Member

Sep 30, 2009
    San Jose,California
    Hey phroziac,I too just got hired by Werner, I'll be going to Fontana on Oct.4,are you going to orientation too? if so I might see you there, good luck man.

10. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    With Werner, you can take anyone you want for a ride...theres a bunch of restrictions on people under 18, but any adult can regardless...no hitchikers though. :)

rapatorr, when i posted that I was waiting to get picked up by my trainer. I already had experience but it was a year ago so it wasnt enough

I've been solo for a few weeks now, and obviously i didnt make much the first couple of weeks being paid by the mile...The first week sucked, and then werner pays one week behind and then it takes time for trip envelopes to get in...so i didnt get much the second week either..hehe. :) Im at home now, took a weekend off....and got the biggest paycheck i've ever seen.

I've gotten a LOT of log violations with the paperless logs, but werner is really lenient with anything under 45 minutes over hours. They have a policy of corrective actions for log violations, the first being written warnings, then going on with log tests and suspensions up to the sixth one, which is a 1 week suspension with possible firing....what they dont tell you in orientation is that thats for the same KIND of violation....like.....if you go over your 11 by 15 mins twice, go over your 14 by 15 minutes twice, forget to send macro 46 twice, go over your 14 by 12 hours once (i pulled that one off LOL...cut an 8 hour break short by 5 mins)....you still arent even up to the point of getting into trouble at all.
    Now, i want to say...it is very possible to run your logs 99% legally on werners paperless system, and it does have a lot of advantages (just as many as disadvantages i think), but for me it was pretty confusing at first and caused a lot of violations.) Also, my dispatcher flat our told me that you are expected to basically run your hours out before you shut down for the night. That doesnt help much...hehe. They've never complained about me shutting down when i have 45 mins left though. I usually send a message like "shutting down because in area without a lot of truck stops"

Belton Bandit Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.