just got my CDL A and bought my own truck what all do i do to become a owner operater

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by piston757, Aug 17, 2019.

1. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    I disagree with ridgeline often but he is right. Your best hope to survive the learning curve is to find someone honest that will take you under their wing. The odds are really really bad for u without experienced help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    You will be fine. You bought a Pete with a hood so everyone will think you are a genius, had you bought a cascadia everyone would be telling you that you are an idiot. Sad but very true. Read, read, read everything on here, there is a ton of great info that should be able to help you out and a lot of very knowledgeable owners that are always willing to chime in with some solid advice.

4. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    I'm just praying that you don't have payments.

5. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    You guys are great at encouragement, ya ok not so much!
    This is what America is all about. The man has a dream and instead of sitting back and doing nothing He has chosen to go for it. My guess is that he paid cash for this rig so he is already ahead of 95% of the naysayers.
    Not everyone fails and it’s obvious some of you hate competition.

piston757, D.Tibbitt and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  6. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Find a barn to store your truck for awhile or just put a tarp over it..
    Be a company driver for at least 6 months..normally I’d say for a minimum of 2 years but I know you want to start making the big bucks right away..

Not really sure how you’d be able to secure insurance or even find a Carrier that would let you lease onto them with zero experience..

Sorry if it’s not what you want to hear but, I’m currently invested financially in 3 failing Carriers and am feeling somewhat jaded at the moment.

The only Trucking Company that I’m invested in that is currently somewhat successful is my own.. I owe this success partially to a great deal of TTR members..

Listen to the “negativity” you will get here because it will save you from financial ruin..

If you’re able to beat the odds and last a year as an owner operator, please contact me as I like to offer you a book deal.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah It is easy to say "come on in, the waters fine" because it isn't on your dime. It doesn't matter what he did, paid cash, got a loan ... because many in the end didn't recoup the investment.

Someone said you don't learn if everything is a success and someone else said that you always learn from others mistakes not from their successes.

piston757, Concorde and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  8. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Like I said on the other thread grab a belly and go to work, more money than 99% of the guys running the road, and way less needed, you can be making bank while you learn some about the business.

piston757 Thanks this.
  9. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    I’ve said it before but you guys act like trucking is the hardest industry ever created.
    This isn’t rocket science here...if you don’t have any business sense you will fail. If you have that sense you have a great chance to be successful.

10. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    You don't even know the size of this individual...

piston757 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  11. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak

What has his size got to do with sporting a large car?

piston757 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.