just got my CDL A and bought my own truck what all do i do to become a owner operater

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by piston757, Aug 17, 2019.

1. FinkPloyd

FinkPloyd Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2015
    I was looking into pulling an end dump, but It seems the big names around here (Statewide Transport aka Vulcan materials and Aggregate Haulers) all want 1 year before you lease with them. It seems down in midland odessa area they care a lot less about experience.

Speaking of belly dumps and Texas, since when did Chalk Mountain run bellies? I see their daycabs all the time now on 67

piston757 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Check them pits outon 380 or 380 what ever it that runs between decatur and denton, them gravel guys have always been busy as hell up there and drive like they don't have 2 days experience. lol

4. Cabinover101

Cabinover101 Heavy Load Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Because your food stuff is covered in your daily perdiem allowance/ how many days you are on the road away from the house

piston757 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  5. FinkPloyd

FinkPloyd Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2015
    I think its the same way in the Concrete industry, Scary how some of these guys drive Spilling concrete every time they take off, Driving over ditches collapsing them running into trees with their chutes, I had one guy pass me going up a hill with a stream of concrete pouring out the back, we were going to the same pump job so i stopped him and asked if he knew he was spilling. He didnt even know, nor did he even bother to check his ticket to see we were doing 10 yard loads that day.

these drivers today are scary.

6. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    As far as I know all the concrete truck drivers here are union, that does not mean theyknow how to even start the truck. lol
    But it seems like the drivers have been driving them for a while. I know one that lives in boise, but comes up for construction season to drive one, and he has been doing it for at least 15 years that I know of.

7. piston757

piston757 Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2019
    lubbock, tx
    ok thank u all all great advice I can reread a lot and learn a lot of info but ya I like the gravel hauling good idea to get experience and learn that's all im needing is advice and yes I paid for the truck

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Cabinover101 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  8. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Guys its doable, I did the same thing he did last year and I’m still here.

My first year insurance was 24k so that should say something. It’s doable.

ChevyCam, TTNJ, Cabinover101 and 3 others Thank this.
  9. piston757

piston757 Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2019
    lubbock, tx
    yes thanks and I have mine paid off thanks for support

Cabinover101 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  10. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Get your ducks in a row, then it just takes one day to get legal, dot number, gravel is exempt product, so no mc needed.
    When I bought my first dump truck, we still had the rairoad commission, and I did not want to lease out, so just outlawed it. I worked the hill country and one out at marble falls cut the trucks a check daily. I never knew why, but that is the way they did it.
    I worked for over a month for a construction co in Austin with no check. I finally went to the office and ask when they thought I could get one. there were 3 envelopes lying on the desk with my name on it, they had been waiting for me to come get them. It seemed they paid every week after the first one. I was as green as they come, as far as the business part of it.

11. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I looked at it like this.

The first trucker started doing this by learning by himself. so if he can do it, we can as well.

FlaSwampRat and piston757 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.