Just got my CDL today, any advice is great advice!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by giroux320, Sep 12, 2019.

1. giroux320

giroux320 Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2018
    I only said that because I seen that for the driver position it said it requires 1 year of experience but then they also have a driver trainee position that says after a period of dock work. I'm gonna look and see what positions they have in Bensalem.

Rideandrepair and 88 Alpha Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. giroux320

giroux320 Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Thanks alot, I will def check them out. My buddy worked at Pyle over in Jersey for a couple years. There's a UPS Freight over in Pennsauken also. I appreciate the advice

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Estes hired one new cdl grad and asked if he'd drive a box truck until a line haul position became available.
    He said "yes" and took the job. He's in now and no dock work. His seniority is building from day one.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Carry Transit sometimes hires new cdl school grads. They're owned by Superior Carriers.
    Ask the recruiter about both companies.
    Carry Transit is food grade and Superior Carriers is hazmat.
    upload_2019-9-12_22-56-26.jpeg [​IMG]

6. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    You wanna go west if you can. Follow the building boom out in Western Delco and Chester county. Everyone is adding routes like crazy out there and need drivers yesterday.

giroux320 Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Coastal Transport and Gemini Transport hires new cdl school grads. Move to Texas; no income taxes.
    Gemini hauls for Love's Truck Stops.
    [​IMG].[​IMG]

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    The one thing i ever think of estes is that the ronald mcdonald paint scheme on their trucks reminds me of a carnival ride or the weinermobile.

giroux320, Fold_Moiler and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Much appreciated

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    IMO...I think it's more important to gain some experience rather than leaving an opportunity to work for a great company like Estes because there is dock work involved. EVERYBODY has to start off from the bottom and EVERYBODY has to put in their dues...whether it's putting in the time at a Mega company or starting off on the docks at an LTL. If you start nit picking what your willing to do...with no experience...you'll find out that there won't be any opportunities to get that all important 1 year experience you need to land a better job.

Try looking at Pitt Ohio in Hamilton or Cinnaminson. They have an apprenticeship program. Same with FedEx Freight in Delanco and Croydon PA. A DUI Pyle has a training academy in West Chester. YRC in Bensalem and Trenton are known to hire new students. UPSF in Westhampton apparently started training new students. McLane Foodservice in Burlington has a training academy. Sysco in South Philly tends to hire new students. Same with PFG in Westhampton and US Foods in Perth Amboy. NFI in Burlington trains new students. Waste Management in Bristol PA has an apprenticeship program. Pepsi (union plant) in NE Philly tends to hire new students. Or just put applications everywhere. You never know who might be willing to hire new students. You won't know unless you try.

11. bbr001256 garbageman

bbr001256 garbageman Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2014
    1. don't follow to close/tail gate.

2. follow all rules and regs. when you don't you are responsible.

3. be willing to do your time at a company/employer. good things happen to those who are resilient.

4. watch listen pay attention to what other drivers do. when in doubt don't be afraid to ask questions,

giroux320 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.