Just Got Signed Up For School - Swift Transportation

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RedandBlack2014, May 21, 2014.

1. Newtrucker48

Newtrucker48 Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2012
    I have utmost respect for my fellow drivers. But if one is wrong that respect doesn't mean they will get a free pass. Neither would I want to get a free pass.

tell me how swift is different from a company that says pick up load at such and such a time and deliver it at this time?

I have in the past and I have heard of other drivers doing the same asking their Driver leaders and or planners what is the times and or window for pickups and deliveries. Nothing is stopping a driver from asking when a load picks up or delivers before accepting it.

if you got burned or hurt because of whatever that is because you and or they did not do their homework about the topic.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Newtrucker48

Jun 8, 2012
    The question is posed if you are against swift why are you on a swift thread complaining about them when you are Scott free from them?

I know personally things that I am not fond of I don't go to their website or threads or places I know I despise. That is basically wasting your time doing something you are clearly against doing just like the calling, and messages and blah blah blah etc, that you are so against. It truly defeats the purpose.

The op asked a question, if all you want to do is complain you aren't helping him. I digress that now anyone who has been reading this knows how the system works and knows how to work the system in regards to staying within their hours and not being an uninformed driver going forward.

4. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    ridiculous this topic turned into this when it should of been a complete other turn.
    I feel someone got burnt and takes it out on the company as a lot of drivers do. The driver decides how he drives, the planner is not next to you holding a gun to your head telling you to drive....

Newtrucker48 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Amen, Wolfyinc. Seems like this thread got hijacked from someone that didn't figure out how to communicate with the office team, or just assumed that the Plus One system was a hard and fast "rule" without picking up the phone and finding out what the real bottom line deadlines were on a particular load.

Back to the issues and questions from the OP.

I've been thinking about your situation in regard to your health. You noted you are overweight, and I believe someone advised that you back way off on salt (sodium) for several days prior to your physical to bring your blood pressure down. To that I would add that you should also back way off on your sugar intake. Most convenience foods are loaded with both salt and sugar, because one balances the other out for taste. Think of sweet and sour sauce, loaded with salt and therefore really loaded with sugar.

Recently I saw a package of six mini chocolate donuts in a 7-11, I believe it was a 7-11 brand. What amazed me was there was 465 mgs of sodium in it. If I buy a really salty tasting can of tuna fish or canned chicken there might be as much as 350 mgs of sodium. To balance out the heavy salt they had over 70 grams of sugar.

Back off both sodium and sugar. If you can do this for a length of time, then you would find that weight loss will be very easy. I did this about a year ago and dropped 25 lbs without really trying, and certainly never feeling like I was going hungry.

Newtrucker48 Thanks this.
  6. Newtrucker48

Jun 8, 2012
    Also if you drink alot of sodas cut that out for awhile. I follow truckers on YouTube who are healthy conscious and noticed I drank a lot of sodas. I cut the majority of them out and started drinking alot of water again. I'm 5'5 120 or so pounds and my friends tell me I don't need to do this but I want my organs to be as healthy as they can. I started doing situps and push ups again and plan on doing more to stay healthy out here.

Again good luck to you and make sure you check about the swift approved physical sites and be prepared with funds if you have to redo it.

7. Wolfyinc

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    the sad thing is that this topic got so whacked I forgot some of the original issues. Like lepton said you can be surprised how much sodium is in just about everything, some do not realize how much sodium is even in a can of soda.

edit

Newtrucker got his post before me, i had to step away during the writing of mine but looks like most can agree :p

8. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    The average adult male is supposed to have a maximum of 30 grams of sugar a day. There is 65 grams of sugar in a can of Coca-Cola (I can't remember what the sodium content is, but it is high).

I've posted elsewhere the example of my nephew, who lost close to 200 lbs in 18 months by eliminating high fructose corn syrup from his diet and most sugar, along with almost all sodium. Pounds melted off almost by themselves. That's was about 8 years ago and what really started my quest for a more healthy diet and lifestyle.

9. Wolfyinc

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    last year I lost a total of 43lbs first half of the year, 2nd half I sustained my current weight, one of the biggest things I did was give up those sodas plus a little more activity and I tried to limit some of the foods I ate. Last week I decided to try and get back on track some, replacing one meal a day with a protein shake, because of the conversation I just went to my fridge to check the sodium just to get an idea and saw even my protein drink has 310mg which is 11% of dv.

10. RedandBlack2014

RedandBlack2014 Bobtail Member

May 21, 2014
    I appreciate all the help and advice regarding my situation. Especially all the awesome answers to my questions! Thank you guys. I had one more question, though. At what point am I responsible for the tuition for the trucking school? I filled out my application and got accepted into school, but I havent actually signed anything. I wanted to focus on getting my blood pressure down and dieting like you guys suggested (I do take in a lot of sodium and sugars and want to cut that down). So I wanted to call my recruiter and push school back until my health improves. Are they going to try to stick me with the cost of tuition even though I haven't even started yet?

11. Newtrucker48

Jun 8, 2012
    No they wont. When you get to the academy you will sign papers saying how much the academy training costs and also 500.00 dollars for being placed in a hotel for the duration of the time you are there training. For a year 37.50 or so will be taken from your weekly paycheck until it is paid back. And then in your second year they pay you 37.50 back so after two years if you decide to stay that long your schooling is basically free. This is as long as you stay a company driver. If you become a lease operator/ owner operator this reimbursement ceases. I wouldn't advise new students leasing or being owner operators anyway within two years. Some make it but so many others fail sadly. Company driving is where it's at for people who are new to the trucking field.

Also the 500 will be taken out at 27.00-27.50 and will be paid for in about 6 months or less. Taken from your paychecks each week as well.

I'm almost to my 2 year mark, which is in August so I basically went to school for free and got my cdl for free. 1-2 years is not a big deal for someone going in with eyes wide open. You want to build up your experience somewhere, and it feels great to have almost two years at one truck carrier than 1-3 of them in a 6 month to 2 year time-frame.

After you get your cdl if you want to do bigger and better things study all topics you are interested in and save what you feel comfortable and able to save for your first or second year so whatever you decide to do you will have the funds to back you up and also the experience. Right now research and studying is your friend.

Grijon and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.