Just gott my CDL thinking maybe Flatbed?? Any good company out there for Newbie CDL from So.Cal

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by LeavinHome2018, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Jenna Lane

Jenna Lane Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2018
    The company we hire may pick you up. SS Logistics out of AZ but we spend alot of time on West coast the name is David to contact

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NoBigHurry

NoBigHurry Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2015
    For many people out there this is a feature not a bug.

4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Basically what they are trying to say to you is IF you are looking at flatbed because it pays more per mile than a dry van, you will be happier pulling a dry van.

The guys that do open deck work and enjoy it are the ones that want the challenges that come with the job. But to many, the extra CPM entry level companies offer isn’t worth the extra work.

Comprende?

SAR, Czar_Zero, johndeere4020 and 2 others Thank this.
  5. NoBigHurry

Jul 3, 2015
    As someone who is interested in going in trucking and into flatbed in particular, I have a few questions:
    1) Since many flatbed loads do not pickup or deliver on the weekends, is it still possible average the same miles per week as van/refeer or should you expect lower miles ? Should I always just plan to take a 34-hour reset on the weekends ?
    2) Does additional pay for tarping / securing / inspecting load make up for the lost pay of fewer miles since you spend so much doing this additional work ?
    3) I assume you spend a lot less time waiting on shippers and receivers in flatbed than in van/refeer, does this translate into more loads ?
    4) I assume you make a lot few deliveries at night doing flatbed, does this lead to a more steedy sleep schedule for flatbed ?

TripleSix Thanks this.
  6. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

All of that really depends on what you do, and who you do it for.
    Generally:
    1 yes/yes
    2 probably a wash
    3 maybe/maybe not
    4 possible

7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I don’t do the whole “miles” thing. You can get jobs as company drivers that pay percentage. The way you make the money on percentage is short trip it. Take your longer runs on the weekend, but during the week, if you’re in an area with ports or steel mills or big manufacturing, you want to gobble up the short runs and local stuff. See, the company will bid the job to cover a day rate. You can make a day’s pay for a couple hour’s work. $$$$$$.

See what I mean? On percentage, chase the loads, not the miles. You will hardly ever run out of hours AND you got paid!

Work smarter, not harder.

Luck in battle.

cke, johndeere4020 and NoBigHurry Thank this.
  8. NoBigHurry

Jul 3, 2015
    Don't mean to hijack the OP's thread but since most of the questions are flatbed/pay related I will post one more.

If I follow @TripleSix 's advice correctly, I should probably look for a company that pays percent of revenue and not cpm. I should also stay in area's with high concentrations of "ports or steel mills or big manufacturing". To me that would seem to mean east coast / east of the Mississippi river / Midwest. For my first two years I was hoping to stay out west of the Mississippi river or in the Midwest and avoid the east coast. Then as I was more familiar with the business of trucking, makes some changes. Given , for the first two years, that I want to stay out west, where the major cities are far apart, should I look for a company that pays percentage or that pays CPM ?

9. SidewaysBentHalo

SidewaysBentHalo Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    You really wont know until you hire into a company and see what their freight is like. Companies pay different rates based on variables.

Where im at the acc pay is on the low side for tarping/stops compared to larger companies, however theyve been in business a long time and have a good customer base locally and brokers for some back hauls. I generally dont sit long. Once in a blue moon i may have to wait a day for a reload to get back. But the setup is rather nice. Local guys grab the loads/ prep. And road runners deliver, reload and head back.

Like when I pull some oversized loads it pays x cpm more per mile on top of the base rate depending on dimensions. Somedays its worth it and others its not depending on routing.

Considering your new, your focus should be on establishing a good routine that will help develop speed.(not half azzing it) Dont focus on the money. It will eventually come.

Maybe its just me but id be embarrassed as hell to toss a set of tarps on a load backwards with a 3 foot boat sail in the air from the wind catching the back tarp just to save 10 min. Or tarps that dont cover the load.... or straps over the tarps...... its called Pride. Either you have it or you don't

I dont make stupid money, but im far from starving. Picking the right company is key. Do alot of research. Usually no news is good news. Best of luck.

NoBigHurry Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.