Just hit pole at shipper. What now

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Xzay, Dec 8, 2016.

1. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    That's what I would have done but then you have the cost of getting the tire fixed and the brkdown cost.But if you have the money I know I would have paid for it.

NavigatorWife, alghazi and 51.50 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    You are close, but not quite there. The problem is so many drivers have a history of acting like children that safety depts all across the industry treat drivers as children regardless of how they act. I know too many safety types. Once safety becomes aware of (any) damage done they blame the driver. It is automatic. They will give you an opportunity to tell your side of it primarily because it is needed for the report. The result is much like I said in my first post. Most safety depts will not tell you when you have been granted that last chance.

I want to change gears a minute now. With repeated preventables there comes a time when it don't really matter if you are honest or not. I also see no need in making a carrier the bad guy here either when it is you the driver that is hitting objects.

Xzay Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    And many of you should be.

Then you all wonder why the DAC was invented?

Xzay Thanks this.
  5. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Has the average quality of drivers improved since the DAC came along?

The DAC was invented to reduce relevant employment details to data points that can be scored without personal judgement. I's mainly a cost control measure and a defense against discrimination claims.

6. Heavy_Load

Heavy_Load Bobtail Member

Nov 22, 2015
    Quit turning right!!

Xzay Thanks this.
  7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    [​IMG]

8. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013

OK. Same question to you. Has the average quality of drivers improved since the DAC came along?

speedyk Thanks this.
  9. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Very astute observation.

The other key the DAC scam is by blacklisting your employee, the one you never intended to keep past the seasonal surge anyway, with demerits on a record, you discourage your competing trucking companies from hiring and benefiting from the employee you just trained.

Then their is the coercion effect of the DAC and the pure spite office staff get to express when they feel slighted by a 'truck driver' that gets to them.

speedyk and scottied67 Thank this.
  10. #1don

#1don Medium Load Member

Mar 26, 2013
    somewhere down south
    Not a chance in hell. in fact they have got worse... the quicker these so-called truck driving schools turn them out the worse they are. Now don't misunderstand me I was not born with a gold steering wheel in my hand. There was a driver back some years ago I think it was for UPS, he had just gotten a 2 million mile award or something like that don't remember exactly could have been more . But there was an article in one of the trucking magazines about it I may even be wrong as to what company it was he drove for. Shortly thereafter he had a preventable accident. When asked what happened and I'm paraphrasing he said something to the affect "" no matter how good you are no matter how safe you are there is always a certain amount of luck involved in driving that many miles and nothing go wrong . And even the good ones screw up sooner or later. "" even my father 39 years on the road not one ticket not one scratch on a vehicle perfect driving record. Next thing I know I'm following behind him in another truck we are turning to go into the truck stop and I watch him lay it over on the right side in a ditch. Never knew exactly what caused it we weren't doing 5 mile an hour as we were getting ready to turn into the truck stop maybe a medical issue or something he says he just don't want to talk about it. But BTW to the OP a wise old trucker told me years ago when I first started driving.... " when making a turn left or right don't just take as much room as you need. Take all you can get"

11. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Love how people with no CDL and never drove give advice here now.

alghazi, Big Don, icsheeple and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.