Just say no, CH Robinson wants to sit on your lap!!

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by 48stater, Aug 29, 2017.

1. 48stater

48stater Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2012
    I received this notice today from CH Robinson. I've used macropoint on a number of occasions, no big deal, but now CH is demanding access to your GPS/ELD setup, or that you use one of their various proprietary products to track your movements. I asked them when they would stop tracking me and they said "after you deliver the load". How in the world would I know that? In theory, they could stay hooked into my ELD/GPS (or smartphone) via their "Telematics/GPS Integration" indefinitely. They could then know my HOS status at any given moment, every lane, every customer I service. The opportunities for being abused by the "big data" vacuum they could create are enormous.

They're trying to peddle this garbage as a win-win and I just don't see it that way. Looks like I'm done with CH after I'd actually managed to hook into some decent freight with them. Here's the notice:

Valued Providers,

Thank you! Your role and contribution to our success at C.H. Robinson is respected and appreciated. Mutually beneficial relationships matter at C.H. Robinson, and will remain a top priority as we evolve our businesses together in this changing transportation landscape.

It should come as no surprise to you that the ability to provide real-time visibility to freight in motion is fast becoming a condition of doing business in North America. With greater frequency than ever, shippers and consignees are expecting real-time visibility of their inventory throughout the supply chain.

In order to maintain our leadership position in the 3PL industry and to ensure we have the best mix of freight available to you, our contract carriers, we have made significant investments in our ability to provide simple, cost effective and accurate tools that meet these changing customer expectations around real time visibility.

Today, C.H. Robinson captures automated status and location updates on about one-half of our shipments. It is our stated goal to get to ninety percent automated in the coming year. Moving forward, C.H. Robinson requires that contract carriers will provide automated stop and in-transit location updates via one of our approved carrier technologies.

C.H. Robinson provides multiple technology options to contract carriers that will ensure they can meet these evolving requirements, most of which come at no cost to the carrier. We have worked to develop technology and partner with companies that make it easier for you to implement this request.
    We are updating the terms of our program to require automated stop and in-transit location updates and we are putting a higher weight on automation as a condition of being a part of our program. Our ultimate goal is to decrease work on both sides of the equation, making it easier to do business with us while meeting the demands of the marketplace. Our access to 110,000 customers provides the opportunity to haul over 11 Million truckloads per year, and Carriers who excel in our Carrier Advantage Program are provided the best access to freight (as well as other benefits), so it is important to meet these requirements as soon as possible.

Over the course of the next several months, we intend to introduce new and exciting enhancements to our technology that will drive efficiencies by reducing searching, speeding booking and reducing required phone calls. We are excited about this next chapter in freight management and having real time visibility to your equipment will help us to be more effective in meeting your needs.

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    And they'll get it- Not so much the 1 truck operators- But the small-medium based carrier...

Why? Because the owner of these carriers wont be tracked-Neither will their office staff.

See, In the world we live in today- If "labor" Will profit an owner- They don't care the obstruction-As long as it doesn't involve them

Dave_in_AZ and HopeOverMope Thank this.
  4. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    When I read exciting enhancements, I think they really meant excrements.

Dave_in_AZ and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  5. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    So they will no longer use macro point then?

6. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    I did not see the part about them paying the O/O driver for this violation of the 4th amendment.

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  7. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    Just un-install it when you complete the mission. I tell the broker if I install this I won't be answering the phone, so it's their choice. I un-install it after the sending 'departed' on the last drop.

Dave_in_AZ and HopeOverMope Thank this.
  8. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    4th Amendment only applies to the government.

9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I picked a load up on a Friday, and the broker asked if I would install a tracking app on my phone so they could track the load. I told him I was heading to the house for the weekend, and there was no reason they needed to be tracking MY activity as I enjoyed my weekend...away from the truck AND the load. "I understand completely" was his response, which was good because that's the only response I would have accepted. If you want to track the load, track the load...but I won't agree to your tracking ME. I go home every night, and what I do and where I go on MY time is nobody's business but my own.

OLDSKOOLERnWV, HopeOverMope and 12 ga Thank this.
  10. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    I always get a good laugh at these posts. If you aren't willing to install the app and be tracked while on the load, stop pulling their freight.

And, It's not a violation of anyone's rights.

After 20 years in trucking, I've realized drivers aren't happy unless they're #####ing.

gentleroger, bzinger and fargonaz Thank this.
  11. brandonkinglv

brandonkinglv Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2017
    How would this crap work on paper logs?

Oh I see it's done through an app... Not a huge problem in that case

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.