Just share your craziest stories as a car hauler?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Edward010, May 28, 2017.

1. Edward010

Edward010 Bobtail Member

May 28, 2017
    Let's engage in a threat with your craziest stories, best stories you have in this industry?
    Would like an off-topic with the biggest challenges you are having right now in 2017.
    Very curious about the industry and the OO philosophies from everyone. The thing is, saw the trend of ''out of biz''.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    About 5 years ago, my daughter moved from Milwaukee to L.A. She had an older car that she didn't want to drive, so she contracted an outfit out of the twin cities. On the scheduled day, the phone rings, I could barely understand the person, but it was the driver of the parking lot, asking for directions in his broken English. Sure enough, guy shows up in a ratty sleeper FLD, barely spoke a word of English. We talked, kind of, as he loaded the car and turns out, he was from Somalia, very nice young man, who sold everything he could to get here, and was trying to make enough money to bring his family here. He had 3 cars on, my kids car, and had 3 more to pick up in the Windy. Sure enough, 4 days later, right on schedule, this kid wheels into L.A. After doing some math, I figured this kid was lucky to be making $7 bucks an hour, but he was happy. America!

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  4. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    Think the craziest thing that happened to me was when I first started. I was on my way home from buying my first trailer and coming through WV on I79 when all of a sudden the wind picks up like crazy, blows a semi in front of me into the median and trees start falling into the highway in front of me. Luckily I was able to take the exit I was coming up on and sit out the tornado under the interstate. After it was all over I got going again, happy I escaped somehow with no damage at all. But my problems were not over. At this point I had 1/4 tank and every exit I got off on, no power=no working pumps. I was coming up on the next exit (Big Otter, WV) and my overhead screen now said "5 miles to empty". If they didn't have power I was parking next to the pump and sleeping there until they did. Sure enough, no power. I woke up at around 3am to a sheriff that had pulled in and checked on all of us (there were now me and 6 other cars stuck there), I asked him if he knew when the power was expected to be back on, he says "probably looking at 7-10 days!". Long story short, I didn't have to wait that long. A farmer pulled in the next morning looking for fuel for his f150, and we arranged a deal where I followed him to his farm and he filled me up with off road diesel, and I loaded his f150 on the trailer and took him (and every gas jug he owned) down the interstate until we found a working gas pump lol. I offered to pay the man fair value for the diesel but he wasn't having it, told me thanks for bringing him down the road and to pay it forward.

5. 51.50

51.50 Heavy Load Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Salem Oregon
    I was headed across the GW bridge, eight cars on, under 13' 6" but I didn't allow for the snow/ice on the road. On the top rear was a nice Volvo 4 door. The increased height caused the overhead of the westbound to push down enough to release two rear chains and I almost made it into a convertible. Middle of winter 1978. I delivered it to the United agent in Nashua N.H. There was a foot of snow , I'd never been to this agent so I unloaded and parked by the front door. Turns out I was on their front lawn. Got stuck with the entire repair as United determined I was negligent. Funny now! Back then---not so much. Picture of my truck to clarify. Delorean 001-1-1.jpg Delorean 001-1-1.jpg

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Reason for edit: detail
  6. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    ^^^ I'll never forget that winter.......#####~! Nice pics, btw....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.