Just sharing my story

Discussion in 'CRST' started by rockstar_nj, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

and we share the road with these types of drivers (not the OP)...

truckon Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    no matter what laws are changed there will always be idiots out there driving, all we can do is be more defensive in our own driving

4. Boka

Boka Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2012
    In my opinion all these mega companies should be more looked at by the government, all these thing they get away with are unbelievable...
    Lets start with the pay, a poor driver signs on with them for 6-12 months for a free CDL just to be paid poverty wage, so now to make more money a driver has to become a ''trainer'' after only driving for 6 MONTHS!!! (Nothing against them for wanting to pay their bills and make some extra money to send to their families, again its the companies fault)

Then you have megas driving the prices/rates down for all of the O/O and small companies, think about it why would the shipper/consignee pay you $2,$3 or $4 per mile to move their freight when megas will do it for a half price....

Also, megas get paid our tax money from the government for "creating" new jobs
    Man its downright criminal with stuff they get away with

Some of you will say that the new drivers have to pay their "dues" to get into trucking and wait few years till they start earning money, well i say thats BS 'cuse no one should have to be away from home for 2-3 months and only earn $300-$400 a week

Hey OP i'm sorry for writing all of this but i just had to went a little bit after reading your post and many like yours

fr8te_sh8ker Thanks this.
  5. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    I agree, its hard to survive during the beginning especially if you have a family at home, a single guy with no home to pay for can make it but its hard for the rest

6. goblue

goblue Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Grand Prairie, Texas
    They could easily push out the requirements for training and a cdl making it even more costly and harder to obtain. In my case it was something i wanted to do and relatively easy to walk into. This otr business is its own beast for sure.

7. 900,000-tons-of-steel

900,000-tons-of-steel Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida
    I find the timing of this thread ironic. Here's why. Yesterday I read the op's post and about fell off my chair when I saw this ... "Our daily goal on accidents in my fleet is no more than 9 per day, we can't make that goal most days." I find this incredulous. I'm still in complete disbelief.

HOWEVER, today I was heading west on I-4 not far from Disney when I happened upon an STI (a division of CRST from what I understand) driver in the middle lane of three lanes (no trucks permitted in the outside hammer lane for this stretch of 47 miles) cruising along at about 62 mph in a 70 mph zone. Now, I'm a very cool and levelheaded driver. I don't get riled, I don't get upset or flustered easily.

BUT, this driver (and I use the term loosely, VERY loosely) refused to move over for me and a half dozen other trucks which were taking every opportunity to hammer down and pass him on the inside lane creating a not-so-safe condition. I didn't pass him, I slowed down and stayed behind him FOR AN AMAZING 24 MILES before he decided to move over and let me pass. Whoops ... he wasn't letting me pass, we were coming up to the scale house. As I was exiting the scale, I noticed him on the scale to the right of me. SOB tried to hammer down and get in front of me AGAIN on the scale road. My truck is a little faster and I didn't let him squirm in just so he could block me for the rest of my journey. Either he was scared to drive the inside lane or he's an inconsiderate jerk. Either situation the dude shouldn't be on the road <end rant>.

My question is ... what the hell kind of drivers are they churning out there at CRST? Perhaps a call to the feds about this company's practices and a copy of the op's original post is in order? This company needs scrutinized to the umpteenth degree.

8. rockstar_nj

rockstar_nj Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Cape May Court House, NJ
    Something needs to be done. It's only a matter of time until I hit something, because the extent of my training on backing was only maybe 5 or 6 backs, where my trainer told me where to steer to set up, then just spotted the back... I still can't set up, eventually I'm going to have to back into somewhere, have nobody to spot me (our codrivers are supposed to, but they like to refuse), and hit another truck. I can steer the trailer straight backing, I need work having to turn it into a space though. I can correct some bad angles being off, but I have to be able to look down that parking space to do it. I'm comfortable fixing a 45 degree angle with the back of the trailer in the space, but not getting the back of the trailer into that space. My setup though, is terrible, I actually have a post on here looking for advice on that. So far I've been lucky and have always been able to find somewhere else I can park, but that luck runs out, and being able to back is a part of this job. It makes being at a shipper VERY hard.

It's hard. I've always been a responsible driver, I take this job seriously, and I'm making every effort I can to learn everything I need to know... But every day, I have to realize that I'm really no different than everyone else who hits another truck. Getting time and the space to practice is tough. I don't want to hit someone, and make every attempt to avoid the risk, but I'm still set up to fail. I constantly get out and see where the trailer is going, but with the lack of experience, the trailer isn't always going where I think it's going to be going when I steer the truck to come from an angle... Sometimes it swings farther, and sometimes not as much, so getting started into that space or towards that door becomes a mess. It's bad enough that nobody wants to get hit by me, but it's not going to look too good if I already have an accident within my first year. It's like there's no standards. I shouldn't have left that school without being able to confidently get that truck into a spot, instead, they put that on my trainer, and if he's not a good trainer, then it's only a matter of time until you're another one of the people who give this company a bad name.

Nothing worse than wanting to learn to do it right, but instead, having to hope you guess right

9. 900,000-tons-of-steel

900,000-tons-of-steel Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida
    You don't have to guess about it, my friend. Take your time and inch your way if you have to. Get out and look as many times as you have to. We've all been in that situation (or similar ones) at one time or another. I remember a time when I had to blind back around a corner in the pouring rain. Managed to tick off an entire fleet of trucks behind me and the guys on the dock as well but hey, I did it my way which was s-l-o-w, extremely slow. Took me almost half an hour to get around that corner backwards but I managed it. Don't worry about it, don't get flustered and take your time, as much as you need and above all, do not worry what ANYONE else says, thinks or does in response to you taking as much time as you need. Good luck, driver.

10. ladr

ladr Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2013
    GA
    GOAL.

Slowly.

Turn off your cb.

Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Use your required 30 minute break to practice.

Don't give up.

11. rockstar_nj

rockstar_nj Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Cape May Court House, NJ
    I didn't mean guess where the trailer is, I meant guessing how much it's going to swing. Obviously, be careful, and keep stopping and looking whenever I'm not sure... It's just that the more times I have to move it without being 100% sure where it's going to go, is more chances of a mistake like not stopping fast enough, having the truck back up faster than I expected, and stuff like that, that can be a disaster with the trailer behind me. That'll get a lot better as I get more used to how much the trailer is going to move, it's a HUGE difference from when I started.

Once I'm into the space, I'm fine and can get the trailer parked with no problem. It's just the turning it in, mostly when I'm bringing the truck back in front of the trailer. I can't always tell exactly where it's going to go, while I'm outside looking at it. That's what I meant by guessing, being able to know where the trailer is going to go. One mistake with that while I'm being careful and constantly gettingout isn't gonig to cause me to hit anything, just that the more times I do it, the more chances there are of me making a mistake somewhere else, and the combination of them making me hit something.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.