Just sharing my story

Discussion in 'CRST' started by rockstar_nj, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Troubador222

Troubador222 Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Cape Coral FL
    Hawkeye is not a CRST school, but a community college that CRST has contracted too and uses to send overflow from Kirkwood in Cedar Rapids. I went there and I am inn my 6 month of my contract with them. Hawkeye is not a bad school, but you get out of it what you put into it. When my co driver and I were there, there were a couple of people who would sit around and whine, but most of us worked hard. If you wanted that truck time, all you had to do was be proactive and go do it. I had a lot of it. Some of the instructors were better than others, true, but that is the same anywhere. We had a class of 18 started, 9 of us graduated. So, they are not passing everyone who goes through. The school is audited by the state of Iowa, and with every class, 3 of the people from the group who pass at the school, have to go and retest with the DOT.

BTW, CRST redid it's entire safety department last year, and are serious about bringing their CSA score down. And it is slowly going down. As to the number of accidents, they have (I believe) 1200 trucks on the road. That accident rate is not unheard of with that many trucks.

CRST Malone, and STI, are owned by CRST, but are independent from Expedited Van, which does the training. Both those companies are either lease operators or owner operators, and none of them student drivers. STI, does not hire anyone without 2 years experience.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Troubador222

Jan 13, 2013
    Cape Coral FL
    And BTW, CRST has done absolutely everything that they said in the orientation package. All you have to do to find what your charged for the lodging etc, is all in there, along with their rate of pay for contract drivers. The pay is not great, but I am in 6 months, have the raise to 31 cents a mile, with 2 months left on my contract. I have the same co driver I started with, and we get out and help each other when backing, at shippers, or in any tight spot. The thing about CRST, is if you are willing to learn and work hard, you can do all right there. You get your school paid for, and once your contract is up, you can move on. Yeah, you can get fired at anytime, and with their working on their CSA score, they fire people for speeding. 11 miles over the posted speed limit is an automatic termination. 6 to 10 in the right situation, like in a town or construction zone will also get you fired. We lose a lot of drivers in California.

CRST was the only company that sponsored a school, that would take me out of South Florida. I could have gone to a private school where I lived, if I had 6 grand to drop. I have no regrets about coming here. Once my contract is up, I am going to put out resumes, but if the offer is not right, I will stay here for a year at least, when I can be considered for more companies. There are a lot of people who do complete their contracts safely, that CRST offers better positions to, with better pay. They have a growing reefer fleet, that does not have students, and also quite a few dedicated runs, with some big companies.

My intention is to eventually go solo. My co driver is a good guy, but I dont want to live with him forever. :biggrin_2559:

4. rockstar_nj

rockstar_nj Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Cape May Court House, NJ
    So, seeing as you were only there a few months before me, you should remember that the alley docking part of your test was to turn out of the cones, not turn the wheel at all, go in reverse, so the trailer naturally just goes right back in. You should know the disorganization of sending you to instructors and then sending you to a different one, then to a different one... Also, and this came right from one of the teachers, they get to pick one student, and recommend a 2nd student... So that audit, it's really just 1 random person being picked by the DMV. But none of that is the issue, yeah, you can learn how to drive the truck in that school.... Or, you can have the common sense to know not to turn until the trailers wheels will clear the curb, it's not exactly hard to pull a trailer behind you. Too bad backing isn't part of the class, you know, the part that causes most of the problems.

The fleet managers aren't much better. If you have a psychotic codriver, and you're asking for a new one, you better hope there's a free codriver in your area, or else you're not getting a new codriver. Grats to you getting someone stable, but that's not the case for everyone.

And they DON'T do everything that they say they do. I'm paying them back for a motel room that from the last I've heard, from the motel manager, they never payed for that room. They said they pay for the school as soon as you finish it and go to orientation at CRST, but the reality is they don't pay the school until after your 8 months... Meaning, as of right now, you owe CRST the rest of what your school cost AND you owe the school all the money. So basically, YOU pay for your school. CRST never paid them. We heard this one directly from the school. It was that lady, I forget her name. The one that's kind of in charge of the whole thing.

I went there wanting to learn, and did everything I could to learn... But no amount of willingness to learn is going to make up for the fact that they don't teach you an important part of it.

With a good codriver and FM, yeah, this company can work out. But with a not so great FM and even worse codriver, well, be ready to get stranded across the country while nobody seems to be able to tell you anything at all about whether or not they're even getting you back on a truck. So you can be like me, and be stuck under a contract and working less than half the days that you've been out... And I take this job just as serious as you, and I run the way I was taught by my lead driver, to only stop for my 30 min break, and only take 30 minutes. I don't waste time, and I drive safe. I don't speed, I get the load where it's going ASAP, I never bother them about hometime, and when I was home, I was on the phone every day from when I was supposed to be back working on getting back out here. I've done nothing but show them a dedicated hard worker... They thanked me by making me risk being homeless, and not able to drive my car. But I thought you do OK if you're willing to work hard. I wouldn't exactly call 6,000 miles in 3 weeks doing OK. I see that more as them abusing the fact that I'm on a contract, which there has to be laws against. I came here under the impression that you average about 4-5k miles a week, just like what they told us in the recruiting packet, and in orientation.... yeah, there's no way I'd recommend this company to anyone.

Skydivedavec Thanks this.
  5. Troubador222

Jan 13, 2013
    Cape Coral FL
    We have established ourselves as a number 1 rated team. We did 6000 last week. We're sitting tonight and probably tomorrow, but it is labor day and a lot of the shippers we haul are closed. Most of what we haul is airfreight. We established ourselves as a number 1 team by being on time with few issues. Yeah, a good FM is part of the mix, but, if you have a bad one, you can ask to change. Ours is good and takes care of us. The few problems we have had with CRST, he has gone to bat for us and got those problems fixed. Heh, there are a lot of guys out here working too who are running hard for this company. I talk to them all the time when I am at the terminals. Known several who have more than 10 years here. There is a high turn over rate at CRST, but that is true of all companies. Out of the 9 of my class that were hired, there are 3 of us still driving. Considering I was looking at a cost of 6 grand for a private school, this is not bad at all. My trainer had been with CRST for 4 years, and my co drivers trainer has been here for 11 years. You guys talk a lot of crap, but the bottom line is, there are a bunch of people making it at CRST, who dont have time to come in here and complain. I know the only reason I have time to be here is because its a holiday, and we have been running for 12 days straight and it's time for a break. See ya down the road.

6. rockstar_nj

Apr 26, 2013
    Cape May Court House, NJ
    we talk a lot of crap because stuff like this happens. Yeah, you can make it... But what excuse does CRST have for leaving a hard worker, who does everything legally possible to make sure that load gets there on time, sitting stranded halfway across the country from home, having no idea if he's even getting back on a truck or home anytime soon? Don't you think it's fair that these people thinking about the company know that there's a risk that their rent won't be paid?

I'm glad it's working out for you... But tell me, what did I do to deserve to be stranded and not working? What did all these other people do to deserve the same thing? Before I came here, I thought all these complaints were just by people who weren't cut out for the job, but after seeing the reality, I see how right they were. And remember, that 6 grand for a private school... You're paying about 4, and then making less money than a non-contract worker, so you're really paying closer to 8. Suddenly a private school that doesn't let you leave until you can do everything, including 45 and 90 degree backs doesn't seem so expensive, does it?

Remember, there is our side of the story. Someone looking into this company deserves to know completely screwed your life could be by signing up... But it's OK that I'm going to be homeless soon, because some people are doing good in the company

7. Troubador222

Jan 13, 2013
    Cape Coral FL
    I lost my car after going to work for CRST, but I was behind coming in, so they have nothing to do with that. BTW, the audit at Hawkeye is ALWAYS 3 people. I was there, was one of the ones who tested with the DOT and passed.

I dont know what your situation is, but....... like I said, I am happy for the opportunity. If you are failing, you might try and look at your part in the failing. I know not everything is in your control. My co driver, I met on the bus going to Iowa, and we are both the same age, (50s). We both have long work histories at high skill jobs, and mine in particular was a lot more difficult and dangerous than truck driving. I have owned businesses and both failed and succeeded at them. Raised a family, etc. I have a lot of life skills, and did not expect miracles. What I have found is a place where I can start a second career and get a leg up in a new career. If I fail here, it will be my fault. I would suggest start trying to get a new FM, and try a bit harder.

I know one thing, there is nothing in that paper work where CRST tells you what they will do that says they will coddle you.

8. rockstar_nj

Apr 26, 2013
    Cape May Court House, NJ
    My part in the failure was that I'm from a state that there's no available codrivers, two things completely out of my control... And the one that actually was, was a maniac.

It's easy to blame the person having the trouble, but sometimes, you just have to accept that maybe the problem is in the company. Maybe if there were actually some kind of standards to who they hired instead of taking everyone who can actually be insured, then there would be a lot less horror stories.

Again, if I drive safely, waste no time on my driving shift, never question home time beyond scheduling it, never give any problem with taking loads... Where can it possibly be my fault? I'm here to work, and I'm proving it... Yet, I get stuck sitting when I first come out because they refuse to let me deadhead, then I get stuck sitting again because my codriver was proof that there needs to be some kind of psychological test before getting hired. But yeah, I guess it's my fault... Not like they can put me on a bus and get me somewhere to get a truck, or at least get me home instead of leaving me halfway across the country with no incmoe

9. 900,000-tons-of-steel

900,000-tons-of-steel Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida
    Some people simply have no empathy and blame everything on the driver when there is a problem. This mentality often originates from a company mindset and sometimes perpetuates among those who have yet to experience a problem of which they have no control. Those same drivers who claim everything is -your- fault are the first to slam the company but usually only after they experience their first problem with the company.

10. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    all you can do is practice backing when possible, the mentor I had started with Crst and he said he didnt learn crap with them then went to Swift after 3 months and had to go out with a mentor again and he said he learned more in that month then the 3 months combined at crst, he has been with Swift now for 8 years, he is an o/o and quite successful. He is also an outstanding trainer, every company has good and bad mentors but the companies need to do more to weed out those bad ones. I see a lot of new drivers out there who struggle and say they didnt learn enough during training. When in training my mentor made me do backings every single day, with Swift we were required 40 backings of all types so a few blind side, some night or day, some straight, angel etc. He made me do at least double the requirement since he wanted me to get comfortable with it.

Am I comfortable backing after several months on the road? Sometimes, I have gotten much better at it but I still worry and stay very cautious at times. I always GOAL when there is a doubt, I choose the easiest possible backings when I can and I have avoided backing accidents. We all start at the beginning, those drivers who make rude comments because a newer guy is taking more time seem to forget where they began. I have even seen drivers who have driven for a long time struggle at backing...also seen those who are stubborn and think they are too good to get out and look. Watched an older o/o backing tonight who came within an inch of a trailer but he never bothered to get out and kept using a lot of pull ups, I finally just stopped watching and walked back to my truck .

Best time to practice is when you have a down day, go to the back of a truck stop early in the day when its empty then practice with several spots open, once backed in pull out and drive around to set yourself up again. You mentioned you dont know how to set yourself up, this might help but drive past the spot you want and stop in front of the next spot when your shoulder is in the middle of it, turn right and drive 4 seconds then turn left and drive until you see your trailer in front of the spot you want, get out and check where your at and see if your in line where you want to be, adjust if not and dont be afraid to get out multiple times, crank to the right and start backing towards the spot and once your close to being in line crank to the left and you will still get your trailer going to the left some, if you see if jacknifed too much then crank the wheel to the right and pull forward some, then crank back to the left and continue going backwards. If you get into the spot but find your way too close to one side then do a "snake" menouver, for example your too close on the left then crank to the right and drive forward some then crank to the left which will steer your back end to the right then straighten up and back in again.

Its hard for me to really put it in words but hopefully it helps you some, would be easier if someone could be next to you talking you through it.

11. rockstar_nj

Apr 26, 2013
    Cape May Court House, NJ
    OK, so this is kind of embarassing... After talking to someone, and being told "all you're doing is lining the trailer up with the spot", when to turn out and then back to the left suddenly makes a lot more sense to me now. It's still going to take a lot of practice to actually do it right, but now I know exactly what I'm trying to do. And to be fair, I got everything else that was thrown at me really fast, so I earned overcomplicating something. Now to just get back on a truck and get a lot of practice.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.