Just some of the stupid things I see

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by dieselbear, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    A bear working west TX?????.......
    I pizzed off a bear...well a little on the 10/20 split one morning....
    He was driving 20 mph on the 10.....I was driving behind him for about 5 miles and got tired Mr. Bear trying to "Hypermile" it... So I tried to pass him in the hammer lane.....All of the sudden he was waving his arms...getting on the P.A.......

Well....he did have a good reason...At the split, there was a 4-wheeler who tried to shine his roof with the ribbon....:biggrin_25524:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Aljay

Aljay Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Fort Worth,Texas
    Whoops !! LOL

4. Aljay

Aljay Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Fort Worth,Texas
    I shoulda said west texas like way out in BFE where the only things you pass are tumble weeds and coyotes .

5. dieselbear

dieselbear Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008

I wouldn't say most. I stop some to conduct a random inspection and the first thing they ask is " Was I speeding." I'll tell them well, I clocked you at 69 in a 65, but I'm not stopping you for speeding. I'm stopping you for an inspection. The driver's, and I would say 9 out of 10,say "but I thought I get 10 mph over the limit. You guys usually do not mess with us for that." You are correct, but i'm stopping you to conduct an inspection. There are some companies that are right on the limit everytime. There are others that always speed. Or that has been my experience. Soem days, I don't get a truck speeding. Somedays, every inspection I do is speeding. So there is no generic anwser.

outerspacehillbilly Thanks this.
  6. Jmurman

Jmurman Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Baltimore MD
    Dieselbear I have a question. I am in training now. I'm in my 6th week of 8. My trainer has made it very clear to me that he is in this, training, for the money.

He demands that when I'm not driving that I immediately go to line 2...even though I'm sitting in the front seat. I cannot sleep in a moving truck. We're not running teams but what he calls super single.

Personally I feel that this going to line 2 all the time is a lie...I should be on line 4 but that would effect his pay.

Is being on line 2 and not sleeping in the bunk legal?

7. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Until DB catches up with you, I'll weigh in here. Line 2 is only legal when you are physically in the sleeper berth. If you're in the jump seat (passenger seat) you are legally on-duty not driving. Get a different trainer, and tell your current trainer I said he needs to quit training if he's only in it for the money. That's no reason to be training. Besides, how much has he actually taught you about being a driver? I don't mean just the driving. What about paperwork, load scaling, customer service, trip planning, time management, dealing with dispatch or load planners or road breakdown, best times and places to stop, all that good stuff that the old hands know and would be willing to pass along to newer drivers if we had the sense to ask and actually listen to the answers?

8. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    Very well said. Unfortunately most trainers on the road today barely know anything themselves although there are some good ones out here that do. The ones that are doing it only "for the money" are the main reason that there are so many unqualified and untrained drivers out here causing a lot of problems.

9. Jmurman

Jmurman Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Baltimore MD
    What would the penalties be for the violations?

If you looked at my logs you'd think all I do is sleep. 13 to 17 hrs in sleeper. In reality I'm getting 5 on some days...not good at all

10. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Log falsification will cost a lot of money if you get caught, but not getting enough sleep could kill someone, maybe even you! The other crime here is the company you are training for is most certainly aware of what this alleged "trainer" is doing. It will he obvious by the number of miles being turned, and yet they choose to look the other way!!!
    This is another reason the quality of drivers is diminished over the years, poor training! And you are only 6 weeks into the business and are already bending rules. Please don't take my remarks as an insult, I don't mean them that way!
    Another reason is this environment of rule bending from the lowly new trainee all the way to the CEO and owners of these companies! IMHO, the leadership determines the attitude that their employees have. Until their attitude gets in line, what do you think the odds are that a driver will follow the rules??? The company actively encourages rule breaking when they choose to ignore what is an obvious illegal and unsafe situation.
    I hope you don't think I am singling you out. Your trainer and company should know better and you wouldn't be asked to operate that way.

11. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    if off duty and sleeper berth run together for a total of 10 hrs is that legal? (4 hrs offduty plus 6 sleeper berth)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.