Just some of the stupid things I see

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by dieselbear, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State

You are correct. The regs do not require "sleep". It's obviously implied that they want you to sleep to be "safe" on the roads. It always strikes me funny the signs in the Il rest areas that say after 11 hours driving you need 10 hours of sleep to be safe. Hmmmmmm? Wonder how come they don't have those on the 4 wheeler parking signs also? Could it be discrimination?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    those signs in illinois dont say 10 hours of sleep..they say 10 hours off duty. ;)

and yeah, i wondered about that too.

I have to say, it is a lot less fatiguing to drive a car than a truck...but still...

4. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L

So....How are you wearing the seatbelt while "perching?" Hmmmmmmmmmm?
    Because pretty much all states require seatbelt use while the vehicle is in motion.

Or do you just wrap the sillyassed bunk harness around you and hope for the best?:biggrin_25522:

Working Class Patriot Thanks this.
  5. phroziac

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    I'd like to know why it should be logged line 4 if you're in the jump seat not doing anything. Like i said before in other threads, i usually only sleep 6 hours a day. I used to team drove, and did this often...I'd sit in the jumpseat...doing absolutely nothing that could be considered work..and log it as sleeper. i dont see the problem. Why should i be in bed if im not sleeping.

Now, note that i said...doing absolutely nothing that could be considered work. I'd sit up there, talk to my codriver, talk on the cb, talk on the cell phone, use the internet, etc etc etc.

And yeah, there were times that i have sat up there and helped drive...and not logged it. but im not saying *that* was right. :)

hell one time i was in the passenger seat on line 2, doing nothing, my codriver wrecked. if i was truly "working", wouldnt i have stopped her? She ran the trailer into a fuel pump at a truckstop at 2mph...

6. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L

Really....'Cause I can't keep my eyes open when I drive a car for any distance...

Maybe it's just the boredom of driving a vehicle that requires no thought or skill to drive.

7. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    Okay, Tom....you're up!!:biggrin_2559:

8. phroziac

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    hahahaha...ive never driven more than 150 miles in a car without someone obnoxious in the jumpseat. maybe being annoyed keeps me goin? :) Last time i did that, i was going from Kalamazoo, MI where i picked up a rental car, to Detroit, MI to pickup obnoxious codriver, to Carlisle, PA to pickup POS truck. I somehow manage to find her house because she is totally incapable of giving directions ...she told me to make a right off the highway, i got lost, i called her, she says...you must have made a left! i said, no, definitely made a right...so i turned around as she said...went past the highway, just like i had made a left...and found her place. Then she insists that i still must have made a left the first time....then she gets in, and starts backseat driving via a GPS. I point out how friggin simple this drive is...I94 to I75 south, to I80 west to I76 west to I81 south...and i had it all figured out before i ever jumped in the car, via an ATLAS...but shes all telling me every turn and trying to get me to avoid toll roads.

And why would anyone think anyone would just get in a car and drive with no clue where they are going? And if she cant even tell the difference between right and left, why would i trust her to get me to carlisle? I wonder if that tomtom has gotten her under a low bridge yet...i never actually drove a truck with her, she was too #### annoying.

states that have the actual scales in the road setup with the prepass usually give you a red light if you arent in the right lane...had what must be a new werner o/o a while back pass me and then get yanked in and i got the green light...lol. he thought he was cool cause he was an o/o..what a moron...

those prepass communicators do look like cameras...but ive also seen actual cameras at scales....some states have cameras at the exits before scales, to catch people going around the scales.....however, i usually jump to the left a lane as soon as i get my green light if the scale is open..to be out of the way of the trucks getting back on the highway....

9. phroziac

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    Hm. Now that i see that DB is within a days drive of NC, ..

DB, these "two states away" guys...you arent counting Rhode Island, Massachussets, Delaware, Connecticut, I95 through the bronx/manhattan, are you? Those dont count!

10. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State

Sorry but they actually say 10 hours of sleep.

11. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Well here we go again...there is no provision, any different wording, or any regulation that REQUIRES the use of any kind of "tie down" or "restraint" while in the sleeper berth...that I have ever been witness to or heard about or read...if there is please show me! Or as WCP, Mooney, Rex or any of the "political" guys and gals have said..."show me the link"! The sleeper berth is not a passenger area, the passenger seat is and is covered by the seat belt laws...not the sleeper berth.:biggrin_2558:

The "harness" in the bunk is a recommendation, a company "policy", a warning it should be used to further the safety of the occupant. However, I have yet to have anyone, with any rescue training or experience tell me, show me, or prove to me that the "harness" will aid in your remaining safer, or less injured, if you have it on and your student wrecks the truck...in fact the "harness" can, and will become a clear and present hindrance in evacuating or extricating an individual from the wreckage if that were the case...those things are a tangle...a spiders web when a body is getting tossed around in the bunk area...just what I want is to be tangled in a harness when I should be getting out of the inferno! :biggrin_25514:

There you go OBGYN, how's that? NEXT CASE!

JustSonny Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.