Just started, only worked 1 day in the last three weeks. Move on?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Road-house, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Even Texas has had some ice recently.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Get a job because it sounds like you don’t have one now

4. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    You were hired for a reason

I doubt a company would go through the moves of hiring if they had no work

Either they have something coming up or it is just a fluke

OldeSkool Thanks this.
  5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Why don’t you go look for something temporary, like Uber, Lyft, Insta-cart, etc. And when your job gets going again, go back

6. Road-house

Road-house Light Load Member

Sep 16, 2018
    Well I was supposed to return to work today. Then I got the call they were broke down again. I signed up for partial unemployment (first time ever being on the goverment teet). I'm going to give these guys until Sunday and move on. It seems like it would be a decent gig but I can't financially burden myself any further for a job. I have a few other offers on the table. One of my offers is Monday through Friday hauling bulk cement using flatbed and tanker the pros are I'm home most nights, pays well, Its close to the house. Cons- Have to tarp loads when running flatbed, 2 a.m start time and im not a huge fan of getting up that early everyday, Have loads that could keep me away from the house a few nights a week ( I know I know I'm a driver it comes with the territory but d#mnit I've gotten used to being home lol.) 2nd guaranteed job option is pulling loads out of a d.c. in a daycab. Pros- Cousin works there and loves it he's told me all about it so if I went there it wouldn't be from the lies of a recruiter, Great benefits, home daily, guaranteed hourly pay, Great equipment, pretty much a company I'd get with for the long haul. Cons- 70 mile commute there 70 mile commute home. That's really the only con I've done the same distance commute for 2 years at a previous employer and it didn't bother me that much .

7. GYPSY65

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    1st
    What’s the issue? Their equipment?
    If so I would move on if they can’t keep gear working
    The $$ per day math will quickly be less when you’re waiting for repairs if that’s what I’m getting

2nd
    The cousin job. Does it pay more than the one you allegedly have now?
    If so. The. You can figure that commute as paid time but your car which in that case I’d have a beater that miles and wear wasn’t a loss of value factor

8. Road-house

Road-house Light Load Member

Sep 16, 2018
    The issue I'm being told is that the factory we offload at is having mechanical failures and unfortunately that's the only customer we have.
    2.) Where my cousin works I would be taking a small pay cut $20 bucks a day. But I feel like it would be more stable just due to they have customers all over Texas. My cousins been there 5 years and he says he plans to retire there. Luckily I still have my ole oilfield hooptie (Kia spectra) parked and ready to go it gets awesome mileage! Really like I say the only downside is the 2 to 2 1/2 hrs I'll be spending on my commute. I can't really move closer to that job due to my wife has a excellent job where we are at now and makes pretty good money.

GYPSY65 Thanks this.
  9. GYPSY65

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    Just my personal take on it is any company or person with all their eggs in one basket is a tough place to be
    Unless it’s a gold mine and this is a fluke

Maybe get a hold of some of the other drivers and get the skinny on what’s normal
    It could very well be a great gig but you just stepped in at a very unfortunate time??

Road-house Thanks this.
  10. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    If you’re hauling into paper mills the issue around here is they can’t get enough natural gas to hardly keep the place running. Some are blaming the new administration, idk if that’s it, but I do know that every paper mill in our area is barely going right now due to hardly able to get natural gas. I guess we’re saving the planet though. There’s a lot of truckers in my area hurting bad right now myself included because of it.

Maybe you aren’t even going to a paper mill, I just know I see pneumatic trucks in the mills all the time. I’d move on if I was you.

GYPSY65 Thanks this.
  11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    What do administrations have to do with gas delivery?

Everyone wants to blame world problems when there's absolutely zero ties.

ZVar Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.