Just turned 21 dead end job and thinking about trucking.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Alzrn, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Be prepared for hair follicle drug test with most trucking companies.
    If you've been smoking weed within the last 6 mos., then go with Stevens Transport. This company has a good cdl program.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    If you really want to get into trucking take James advice and get into a LTL position. A lot will take a new guy and train. Within a few years you'll be at 80k a year or more. Or food service is another good choice. Places like McLane you can easily top out over a 100k a year in just a few years and be home every night or every other night. Most have 4 day work weeks. I started out doing food service at 21 and grossing about 1100-1150 a week give or take for doing just 3 runs a week as a team run. 60 hours total on avg

jamespmack Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's good advice. Again, be prepared for hair follicle drug test.
    If you're good to go, then here's a good start:
    ~
    Tuition-free CDL Driving Academy
    ~
    [​IMG]

5. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Don’t let the shop or insurance company off the hook!
    We run a shop in the rust belt of upstate NY and our procedure with a rusty vehicle is to set the lift up and slowly pick it up if things give we back off and call the customer.
    We don’t crunch it causing further damage.
    Tell the insurance company and shop to return it to the un bent condition it was in when it entered the shop and you will be on your way.
    The whole point of insurance is to put it in either the SAME or BETTER condition than it was before the incident.
    At this point it is nether of them.
    In NY you can file a small claim of up to 3000.00 against the shop for about a 25.00 filing cost.
    Usually when you do this you don’t end up in court but rather you get a phone call from the insurance company asking what it will take to fix this.
    Most insurance companies realize it’s going to cost more to send their lawyers and then roll the dice to see if they could possibly win than it is to pay you an agreed amount on the damage and walk away.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. Alzrn

Alzrn Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2021
    Yeah I wish it was just bent. 2 full crossmembers are snapped at the welds. Insurance guy told me to my face when I said they likely dropped it " it should be able to FALL 4 or 5 feet without breaking something. Yeah I may have to go to small claims. Insurance guy tried to reassure me he knows what he's talking about because he has a state inspection liscense. You can get that for $150 at the local votec HAHAH

7. Alzrn

Alzrn Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2021
    Yeah I got no issues passing any tests I've never done drugs. Also got alcohol poisoning when I was 17 and can't stomach the taste of any liquor since. So no chance of dui

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Good for you; now just choose a company and get started.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  9. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    The problem the insurance co has is that nothing should be dropped off a lift period.
    If it got dropped off the lift the guy who set the lift up is negligent.
    It is totally irrelevant if it was a brand new BMW or a rusty old truck both would be damaged.
    I can also guarantee you if you drop a brand new BMW ( or an other vehicle) 4 or 5 feet the suspension and more would be damaged.
    I am offering you my opinion on this as a current shop owner and NYS licensed motor vehicle inspector of more than thirty years.

Sirscrapntruckalot and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    You can get two cross members repaired for a grand ?

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    So dude, that doesn’t matter, they had the vehicle in their possession and it was damaged in their possession, then it is their problem. Go to court, get your vehicle fixed.

Hulld Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.