just wondering about logbooks

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by hubbyonroad, Jul 26, 2010.

1. hubbyonroad

hubbyonroad Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Ohio
    hubby is in training and with a trainer this week and he was saying something about his logbook (first time for having to do one)

is it the drivers who choose to falsify their logbooks or is it unspoken company policy that have the drivers do it?

if the driver gets caught who pays the fine..driver or company?

He's doing what he's told but not sure he likes it but doesn't want to draw attention to the trainer with the new company just in case this it what the company policy is
    in other words does everyone falsify their logbooks and he's not use to since he's never had a class A job only class B

thanks for any insight

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HEAVY DUDE

HEAVY DUDE Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NUNYA
    He will pay the fine when he's caught. Depending on the company he may need to find a new job. You say he's with a trainer so he has no exp. Get fired with less than one year exp. and a log book falsification ticket, He's most likely done driving truck.

4. hubbyonroad

hubbyonroad Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Ohio
    hubby says for now he'll do what the trainers says and shows him but once hubby's on his own truck he's doing it the legal way.
    Yeah hubby has no Class A experience just over 14 yrs with Class B and do to lay off up-graded to Class A. With his Class B job they didn't have log books as company made sure no driver went over in hours daily

5. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Hubby's situation is a little unique since his log has to match the trainers. So, if the trainer hands Hubby his log and says match 'em up, what can Hubby do? And while Hubby can get fined, it's usually only while on the road, as in a roadside inspection or a scale inspection. Audits always fine the company. Have Hubby discuss the log situation with the trainer and make it clear what to expect.

DocHoliday Thanks this.
  6. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Hubby needs to talk to safety and get a different trainer.

7. fulgrwnmn

fulgrwnmn Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2008
    whitehouse,oh
    its all on the driver........................plain an simple..............

rich_t Thanks this.
  8. rich_t

rich_t Road Train Member

May 28, 2009
    United States
    If Hubby's trainer told him to shop lift at the next truck stop, would he do it?

A false log is still a crime, and can end his career. Particularly with new regs. kicking in soon.

He has the responsibility and duty to run legal. That including keeping an accurate and legal log.

9. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    Running legal is not always the safest way to run. I only run perfectly legal if i have a trailer with skybitz.

Most of the time i end up logging more driving than i really did anyway. corporate has a policy that we have to log less than 60 mph. My truck does 79 mph....

however, the trainer has no business tellign a student to run illegal.

also, aint it a team operation? why the hell does it have to run illegal?

10. rich_t

rich_t Road Train Member

May 28, 2009
    United States
    Team operation? I understand that it can vary by company? IMO, the trainer should be in the jump seat "training" and logging the time as on duty. Ain't that why they put two bunks in that rig? <LOL>

I suppose some companies run it like a team operation though just to maximize drive time for the rig.

BTW... when would it be safer to run illegal? I'm drawing a blank on that one.

11. tracyq144

tracyq144 Heavy Load Member

Feb 15, 2009
    MN
    Just sticking my nose in here, and don't mean to hijack the thread, but let's say that, in order to stay within the 14 hour rule, you'd have to run through Chicago, or any major city, during rush hour. I think it is much safer to take a 2-4 hour nap outside of town, then start driving again after the rush. Takes less time, much less traffic, the nap has taken care of the "late afternoon bio rhythm" thing, and I feel refreshed. At the end of the day, my total driving/on duty hours would be the same, but I would be running illegal (because of the 14 rule).

Many variations on this theme.

Boardhauler Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.