Kaufman RGN 55t

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by LaComa, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    I dont like the way free welds their frame together toward the back of the deck. Makes a weak point.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    He's one interesting guy... I just shake my head everytime I watch one of his vids.

4. wesland24

wesland24 Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Macon,GA
    we've never had any trouble at the back we have 6 of them we did although have one break up front just behind the neck

5. LaComa

LaComa Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Any suggestions on how you guys would spec out a new 55t?

6. UltraZero

UltraZero Medium Load Member

Jul 18, 2013
    For what it's worth, He is a character. He does seems to move lots of equipment with that trailer. Other than the orange one, I haven't heard any issues with the one he has now. I don't think I have ever seen him move anything outside of equipment. Nothing is a large crate and oversize. (Not that I have seen)

7. Dustyroads38

Dustyroads38 Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2015
    Vernal utah
    If money wasn't a factor and I could spec one out however I wanted, here's how I'd spec one.
    Trailking
    30' to 50' extendable well
    Modular tandem axel with 60" spacings, reinforced to handle 2+2, 3+2.
    Hydraulic detach with 168" swing with flip, 120" and 102" holes in the neck.

One of my good friends just purchased almost this exact set up, 55 ton trailking 34' to 54' well, other than his trailer won't handle 3+2 or 2+2. His neck isn't stout enough to handle a flip long enough to run a long spread tandem jeep and get any weight on his drives. Running as a 1-3-3-1 8 axel, he is maxed out around 102k payload.

There is a million ways to skin a cat. When it comes to spec'ing out trailers and trucks there's always something you are trading off. Hope I've been useful. Good luck, keep her between the ditches.

8. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    All depends on what you're goin to be doing with it. I highly dbout my 'dream trailer' would work and be cost effective for you as I move construction equipment around tight nasty subdivisions and occasionally go on highway trips. When I called Trail King to get a quote on a new trailer so I could figure where to draw the line when looking at used the first thing the guy said was 'Are you a logger?' Nope my logging roads are paved with houses.

• 18 to 20 foot well, set up and with a full deck width extension to bring me out to about a 25 foot well when on road trips.
    • Set up for stinger and flip neck for a jeep, but I wouldn't buy them now as there's not that much big big iron around here.
    • Load bearing fenders on the trailer would be pretty nice, the ones that rise above and could act like wheel chalks for those motor graders with weak parking brakes.
    • Newer trailers that have the extra deep excavator boom troughs are pretty nice.
    • Not sure how the factory builds fenders on the neck, but I have some homemade steel frame aluminum diamond plate on mine that I absolutely love.
    • Set up with plugs for running lights to be mounted on the 4 corners of your oversize load, ran off a coiled power cable. Some states will let you run oversize at night only if you have marker lights on all 4 corners at the widest point.
    • Have strobes on the back of the trailer, May help getting traffic to cooperate when I'm trying to negotiate the challenging places we have to go, but probably not
    • D Rings on the trailer in several places that I don't have them on mine, and a healthy supply of them down the sides, the way that hooking to the trailer flange is becoming frowned upon I'm starting to switch over to clevis slip hooks and just grab the d ring.

That's all I can think of on the top of my head, but if I am buying a new trailer it's going to be a Trail King. I've been around those lowboys since I started riding with my dad when I was 2 or 3 and they're good trailers that hold up over time. Aside from little things that I'm slowly changing to suit my wishes I'm plumb happy with my 98 model 50 tonner and it serves me dang well!

Dustyroads38 and Oxbow Thank this.
  9. #1Superchicken

#1Superchicken Bobtail Member

May 31, 2018
  10. #1Superchicken

#1Superchicken Bobtail Member

May 31, 2018
    Mine broke the neck today

11. Landincoldfire

Landincoldfire Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2015
    New Holland, Pa
    Awe man! That's gonna hurt somewhat.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.