Keep getting emails/post cards to drive for Knight. Have some questions.

Discussion in 'Knight' started by SHOJim, Sep 22, 2012.

1. AZ_Equine

AZ_Equine Light Load Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Small Town Arizona

I have researched this profession for over 2 months and discussed being away from home with him as well as other family members and friends as well as current and former truck drivers. I have made no "demands" what so ever. I am aware of the work conditions and don't have any issues about being over the road for weeks on end. I have no kids at home and my Husband can cake care of the animals. I am aware of the turnover rate- So that may be why they don't want to even give me a chance? Because I have a Husband?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OverDrive

OverDrive "A Watchman on the Walls"

With Knight it could be one of several things....including, individual recruiter incompetence!

You show and talked about being from 'small town AZ' (I'm from Tucson and spent 5 yrs driving out of Phx), but was an 'Express' driver---i.e., turned in my truck at the Phx term B4 going home each time out, and usually got another truck when coming back on duty. They used to have a 'reqmt' for even the reg drivers that they park their trucks at a Knight term when taking home time. This allows another driver to use the truck 'in a pinch' (I did several times myself) or put it in the shop for maint/repairs. How far are you from the Phx term?

4. OverDrive

Since I didnt get an answer to my question about distance from home-to-term, let me ask other current Knight drivers:

"What is Knight's policy on taking your truck home during off time and/or vacation? "

One reason Knight had the policy that I mentioned is that 'some' drivers would abuse it and take more than their allotted 3 days off or call in sick and sit on the truck. It's std policy to slip trucks beyond 3 days unless 'special' circumstances.

As I mentioned B4, as an Express driver when coming back on duty, if no truck was immediately available, they would have me do 1-day runs (like to Purina in Flag or the windows factory in Prescott Valley) and pick up loads for Tcall in Phx. I used to really hate driving another driver's tractor with all their personal stuff in it as feeling very responsible if something was taken while using.....I always considered a driver's assigned tractor as 'sacred,' and fueled up & washed it when I was done using it...(per the way my Dad raised me on never borrowing, but if you must, leave the property in as good as or better condition than when received initially!)

5. AZ_Equine

Jul 24, 2012
    Small Town Arizona
    90 miles one way

6. OverDrive

My house-in-Tucson-to-Phx-term was 103 miles, so that shoudnt be a prob...again, did you plan on taking your tractor home when permanently hired on? I left my SUV in Tucson because of low-fuel mileage and bought a 35 mpg sub-compact to drive weekly (to 10 days) to Phx & back. Plus, parking @ the Phx term is open/unsheltered and vehicles are subject to Monsoon hail storms...wouldnt park a nice vehicle there long term!!

Hope that your possible female trainer doesnt have a prob being qualified (how much experience does she have, and does she have a clean record?)

Good luck...OD

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  7. AZ_Equine

Jul 24, 2012
    Small Town Arizona

I wouldn't mind taking it home, we are in a safe neighborhood and if I didn't have a trailer attached I could back the Tractor into our fenced yard with our two 60+# dogs! ;) And if I could bring it home that would make it easier to wash it down and vacuum it out between trips. When I had my own cleaning business I was hired to clean out motor-homes for winter visitors once in awhile. Even shampooed their upholstery and carpets - I'm glad I kept all my equipment!

If they could get me home 3 days every 3 weeks I could live with that. I have heard that sometimes doesn't happen and you get stuck out there for 4 weeks or more but I have also heard that most of the time Knight is good about getting you back for your home time. Being so close to PX and in between major hubs ( L.A., San Deigo, and Las Vegas) I am hoping it won't be difficult to let me pop over to my house for a few days after I had been out a few weeks.

My pending trainer has 7 years experience and was approached By Knight to train back when she hit her 6 month mark but declined at that time. She is confident there should be no problem. She has trained many others under a different company.

8. OverDrive

3 weeks out/3 days off is pretty much the std in trucking..esp driving out of Phx, and if you ran Western Regional, shudnt be a problem getting back home.

Sounds like a great trainer prospect for Knight to latch on to. The whole Squire thing is new since I left 4 yrs ago..when I hired on in 2003, no training was available, drivers needed 1 yr min experience with a good record (most of the Knight drivers I met coming on had been with them 8-12 yrs)...then the exp limit dropped to 6 mos, and I even heard 4 mos for new hires. The toughest part of trucking is that 1st year...starting with 'living as a slave' with your trainer (who is over all that you do, including where you stop to eat, etc.) for 4-6 weeks (I only did 3 weeks back when) in a space the size of a small bathroom @ 24/7 ....but grit your teeth and grind thru it!

BTW, my wife & I also had a cleaning bus. many years ago...but couldnt find reliable, detailed folks to grow it and got out!!

9. OverDrive

Keep getting emails/post cards to drive for Knight. Have some questions.

To respond to the OP thread title:

Many head hunters get names from various places and send out e-mails/postcards, etc. to draw drivers in...but, the prospective drivers have not been vetted by Knight which happens during the orientation process. My orientation class of 30 drivers was 'weeded out' (me almost, due to a 1 month of lack of non-trucking job verification of over 5 yrs prior which they saw as a 'gap') to less than 20 at the end of a week of orientation. So, unless you really want to work for them and have 'no skeletons in your closet,' and can prove that, those e-mails/postcards are not a guarantee of a job with them.

I.e., dont quit your present job thinking that you WILL be hired by Knight after their 1 week orientation!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  10. AZ_Equine

Jul 24, 2012
    Small Town Arizona
  11. AZ_Equine

Jul 24, 2012
    Small Town Arizona

My "prospective trainer" finally got to see who she needed to see today to get approved but ran into a small problem. Everything looks good otherwise they told her. All she needs to do is request a couple inspections, and , of course, pass. Doable but would make the wait longer and of something were found and didn't pass that would set her back even more. So I might have to start shopping again or settle for a male trainer. Even my own Husband thinks I should just settle with a male trainer and get it over with! ..
    Wow he really want's me out of here! JK.

I wonder if my being deaf in my Right ear would be an issue. For my DOT Exam, for the permit, all it affected was preventing me from hauling Hazmat. I was told they don't require Hazmat but maybe they still wouldn't want someone who is deaf in one ear. Other than that my closets are squeaky clean. As long as I have my tax papers for the years I did house cleaning I should be ok, right? Or I wonder if I should approach May or some other company?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.