Keep getting emails/post cards to drive for Knight. Have some questions.

Discussion in 'Knight' started by SHOJim, Sep 22, 2012.

1. AZ_Equine

AZ_Equine Light Load Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Small Town Arizona

I know that , I just thought they were pushy about getting you in- all that I read about them trying to talk people into signing up with them. I also know they won't necessarily hire you even after training you.
    That's the chance you have to take.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OverDrive

OverDrive "A Watchman on the Walls"

Does the Squire program charge $3000 AFTER getting a CDL (which is usually $3-4K)?

Guess it must be due to not running as a team but totally dedicated to the trainee even while delivering freight?

My CDL school was also owned by an o/o fleet and reimbursed me my $3000 CDL costs over a 3 yr period while working for them.

If they do charge the $3000 for Squire training at least that makes one 'totally vested' in sticking out the training period.

When I hired on with Knight (now 9 yrs ago), after orientation and accepting the job, the new driver had to work for 90 days w/o quitting or payback the $$ spent hiring on & training, which I think was about $300.

Orientation does a physical (hearing tested by the doc whispering at a distance of about 5' on either side of your head while looking fwd), a physical strength test, & now I'm hearing sleep apnea (?)..and vetting past work history.

BTW, most women trained that I'm aware in my past were trained by male trainers, so not uncommon.

4. AZ_Equine

Jul 24, 2012
    Small Town Arizona
    I meant after signing the papers for the class than being removed - not even getting the schooling and oweing the $ because of signing papers..
    I would expect to owe if I got through the training and received the CDL.
    I didn't think before I "spoke" Lol

5. OverDrive

I'm also sorry, didnt know Squire took you thru both CDL & training.

The history of most CDL 'mills,' or schools, is that they all will take your $$$, but after that it's up to YOU to get a job in the trucking industry. Often they provide an opportunity for trucking co.s to come in the last week of school and make their pitches. But because of Govt grants, etc. many go thru the schools but never launch out to phase 2 training..... ...another reason why putting up one's own $$ makes them more obligated to continue on!

An old saying in the trucking industry: "Anyone can drive a truck; but not everyone can be a truck driver." (as in a professional)

6. AZ_Equine

Jul 24, 2012
    Small Town Arizona
    I have to quit to be trained tho. Can't be 2 places at once :)

7. OverDrive

Yeah, it is one BIG commitment to get into the industry! I got fed up working for a co. who was about to vacate the Tucson area (in the underground utility locator bus.) and it helped me to jump ship into CDL school. Also wanted to stay in Tucson and found could do as an OTR. Plus I had the finances to bankroll me and wanted to pursue a boyhood dream of driving the big rigs (grew up working on farm machinery and cars/motorcycles)---loved big, noisy machines.

BTW, after 10 yrs listening to the roar of the diesel 10 hrs/day and the whine of the turbine, my hearing has suffered some---have a hard time picking out conversation when in a noisy background...think it adds up, and some drivers do use ear plugs while cruising the I-states.

8. AZ_Equine

Jul 24, 2012
    Small Town Arizona
    I am going to contact my "potential trainer" and see how bad she wants to train before moving on. I can afford to take a few weeks or so (would like a little time to prepare anyway) But if she is really worried about not passing an inspection , I don't want her to feel like she has to follow through for me.

Also- If I were to wait till, lets say, mid November or even the end of November
    -1. Would that "gap" for 4 to 6 weeks tarnish my "work history"?
    and 2. Will they still be taking in students then?

9. OverDrive

What exactly is the 'inspection' that she has to pass? Does she own her own truck?

And I would use your cleaning bus. to fill in any gaps....think women in general have more slack anyway as being 'housewives/mothers' and many do not need to work full-time. They are mainly concerned with ppl being fired for various unreported reasons as well as possible jail times!

10. AZ_Equine

Jul 24, 2012
    Small Town Arizona
    just an inspection at a weigh station... in CA

11. OverDrive

Has she been shut down and is 'Out-of-Service' at a weigh station? Or does she have some 'Fix-it Tickets' that she received and now has to have cleared by a weigh station (following shop repairs, proper paperwork, etc.)?

I'm wondering if she is being straight with you..?? Or, maybe Knight is having a problem w/her?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.