Keep volvo or sale

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by joseph1853, Jul 14, 2016.

1. joseph1853

joseph1853 Heavy Load Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    My uncle died and left me his 2006 Volvo VNL. He bought it brand new and leased it onto dart until 4 or so years ago at which point they were trying to force him to put a electric logging device on his truck and he ended up quitting because of that driving it home parking it in the yard and there it sits currently. I'm a truck driver also have had my cdl for around 9 years and probably have around 3 to 4 years experience driving. I'm thinking about getting out of doing the company driver thing and leasing that Volvo onto a company. I've always been a entrepreneurial type person good with numbers, multi-talented, mechanically inclined etc so I think I could do it successfully that is.. My concern is whether or not I should continue with this truck or just sale it and get another one. I've heard Volvo's are expensive to work on and the resale values on them are not much among other things. It also has some rust on the frame, mechanic told me it's just surface rust and that it can be sand blasted and repainted and that it wasn't a big deal really. Probably going to need some break work, battery's etc. Also the truck has over a million miles on it and it will probably need tires even though they have plenty of tread but it has set for some time and people have said that they will have probably developed flat spots and could possible cause some serious stress on the road and all.. Part of me want's to fix it up just enough to get it moving and sale it because of the great possibility it will be a can of warms, another part wants to fix it up and just run with it considering I will have no payments and I do have some knowledge on were and what this truck has been through which you probably won't get buying off a dealers lot. It's been owned by one veteran truck driver and it's pulled refer's all over the country.. So it's not one that's been past around like a slip sit truck would or had several owners or in the oilfields abused etc.. So any advice to help me make a good decision and forgo any unnecessary stress to put it nicely would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    There's nothing harder or worse on a truck than being parked unused. 4 years parked... That truck will break you. Better sell it.

jsnell, azbraindamage, MrEd and 2 others Thank this.
  4. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    See how much it is worth. It will help with the decision.

5. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Don't sale it! Sell it.

86scotty and lester Thank this.
  6. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    How many miles are on it?

7. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    The truck in my avatar sat on a repo lot for 1.5 years before I got it.

Drove it home and replaced all fluids, hoses, belts and anything that could fail. Also had to put on all new tires, all in was about $10K to get it road worthy. That was on top of the $20K I paid for it.

It has been a great truck since I got it in '08.

Dave_in_AZ, Badmon, joseph1853 and 2 others Thank this.
  8. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Personally I would prolly run it. It's far more interesting to be an OO . You could sell it afterwards or it could burn up. But it's a free truck.

86scotty, Badmon, joseph1853 and 2 others Thank this.
  9. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Find a good shop to do an inspection with an rough estimate on what it will cost to pass an annual. Ask them to also do a through inspection of everything they see wrong or a possible problem in the next year. Explain your situation and what your are doing. Expect to pay 2.5 through 4 hours. Do your own inspection to add to theirs. Expect to spend at least $400- $600 just to get it running.
    Then not my idea but I was told this was the Ben Franklin method. List all the good points on one side and the bad on the other. Fill in dollar amounts as best you can and make your best choice.
    I do not totally agree with Coal however I have a question? As an example I have seen one truck in a group of twelve in serial number sequence. They were slip seated locally and everybody drove all of them. One in the middle of the group had twice as many repairs as the rest, file was twice as thick as the others at 500,000 miles, why is that?
    It is like getting married, some are good, some are bad, and some change. Then if you drag the thick file truck out of the bushes it only gets worse with age. It is demon possessed and hopefully can get away from it before it or you kill yourself.
    Just my opinion good luck with your truck!

joseph1853 Thanks this.
  10. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    OP says his uncle purchased the truck new. One owner and he knew the owner, I think he would be crazy to sell it.

Drive it until the wheels fall off!!

86scotty, Dan47, Dave_in_AZ and 10 others Thank this.
  11. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Would have to know the specs on it. If it has a Volvo engine I personally wouldn't keep it. But if it had an ISX I might would keep it. If it has an ISX it'a probably be a cm870 which weren't bad motors if you did yearly tune ups on them. There's a couple variables BUT, think about this one; A LOW OVERHEAD START UP! That would be such a huge advantage in a start up business, assuming the truck is paid for. I would keep doing what your doing until you have in the ballpark of 15k-25k+ in savings, and everything straight at home with mortgage and car notes etc... Preferably a paid off home... With these mentioned variables you could afford to put a few thousands in swapping all fluids including the diffs, throw an oil bypass filter on there and get a GOIN'

BUT: if your not business minded don't fool yourself into getting into this because it will potentially stress the you know what out off you... But if your to continually invest into your self and your business even though the returns aren't seen right away then you might be good.

If this isn't you then just sell and don't waste your time. But make sure you get a fair price the truck may have sentimental value to you ...

EDIT: disregard some of that above, I see you said your business minded/entrepreneurial

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    joseph1853 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.