Kentucky: Considering Career Change and Getting My CDL

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by RWF, Nov 26, 2017.

1. RWF

RWF Bobtail Member

Nov 26, 2017
    I'll start with the bad news...
    I have a 5 year old DUI, I take an antidepressant, I'm prescribed a CPAP, and I've never had my CDL

Before I go further is there any chance a company will hire me?

Second portion:
    I'm looking for a company that will train me! I understand the contract rules! (no problem there)
    However I have two children and don't mind being away from home 2 maybe 3 days but more than that is too much due to the kids and being a father! (prefer home daily honestly)

Any support, links, advice, or personal experiences anyone can share and help me out? Thank you in advance!!!

Located Central Kentucky Just North of Somerset

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Whats your general location?

4. RWF

RWF Bobtail Member

Nov 26, 2017
    Sorry I'm Located in Central Kentucky near Somerset

5. Blackshack46

Now i dont have a clue what that dui is going to do, but your only option really for company paid training and home daily is an ltl company that has dock to cdl training.

Do you have old dominion, abf frieght, yrc, saia, new penn and any companies like them down there?

6. RWF

RWF Bobtail Member

Nov 26, 2017
    Non of those sound familiar? However I will check into them! I've just started considering this career change, and was more concerned about my medical and dui history over the other... That's why I put that first! I will look into those companies and consider the ltl as well! Thank you Blackshack46

I did look into CR ENGLAND a little bit? is that right? I know I have a JB Hunt near me in Nicholasville

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I wouldn't mention the anti-depressant; can you quit taking it for awhile; at least long enough so you don't have to list it on your DOT physical form?
    Try Schneider; tell the recruiter you need cdl school and want to work out of the Walmart Distribution Warehouse in London,KY. You'll make good money and be home almost every day.

Sygma Network and McLane Foodservice hire drivers with only a cdl permit. You will team with an experienced driver delivering to fast food joints. They give you 90 days to qualify and acquire your cdl. This way you're home most days and are a full time paid employee. Can apply online for "Driver Associate" or "Driver Helper."
    Easy to make $70K doing foodservice.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    RWF Thanks this.
  8. Blackshack46

With any of the mega carriers england, swift, prime, etc.... you will be otr for a year minimum. After that year, you can go to greener pastures if you wish. But, like Chinatown said, food service companies. Specifically the ones he mentioned will train you.

To meet your hometime goals, your going to have to find a home daily company that trains. Anything else will be a week to weeks to months on the road before seeing home. Rinse and repeat.

Your medical and dui history i cant comment on, i have no knowledge to help you there.

9. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Don’t volunteer any information during your medical DOT examination.

How long do dui stay on your record?

Need4Speed Thanks this.
  10. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    C.R. England is a long haul trucking company headquarters in SLC.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Schneider has lots of offerings for drivers that don't want OTR.
    www.schneiderjobs.com
    Some don't even need a cdl for straight truck jobs. Some straight truck jobs, no cdl, CDL-B, CDL-A, depending on the size of the straight truck.
    The Walmart job, you'll need a CDL-A. Schneider will help you get a cdl school. If you go to school on your own, Schneider will reimburse the tuition up to $7000.00
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    All the above are Schneider trucks.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    RWF Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.