Kenworth T600 vs Freghtliner Classic XL

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by a-backwards, Nov 26, 2006.

1. broncrider

broncrider Road Train Member

loius,
    on a normal northwest flat load (read big and heavy) i average low 6's west of I29, midwest with the same load i average high 6's, east of the big river it goes back down to low 6's.

i have seen my hand figured average go from 5.4 mpg to 7.8 mpg......just depends on alot of factors. when i put new rubber on the drives and trailer i went from a monthly average of 7.5 to 5.5

3406e (435hp), 13 spd and 3.55 rears

the biggest daily variance will be your right foot, and idle time

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    You lost 2 full MPG by putting good tires on???????????????????????

That is so unfair.

4. broncrider

broncrider Road Train Member

yeah i wasnt real pleased, but i did go from almost bald higway tread to a full 1" with somewhat lug/open shoulders

best part is after a year of runnin them (yeah it took me along time to get enuff miles to wear them down....im lazy remember?) my mileage is back up

5. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    Those tires cost a heck of a lot more than the invoice price of tires then. Man maybe I should rethink buying a rig with new virgins.

6. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

New RUBBER costs you in the MPG , some take around 20 - 30,000 miles to get you back to your MPG before the new tires.

7. jerryp53

jerryp53 Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2009
    molena, ga
    On the Frieghtliner, have you checked to see what year the motor was made in. Some of the 3406e motors have a cast crank instead of a forged crank in them and they tend to breakup at about a million miles. Also a difference in the Kenworth, is do you want 3.90 rears. Running the se like I do, your fuel economy will suffer with a 3.90 due to the rpms you turn at highway speed. You would do better with something like a 3.70, 3.55, or 3.58 to come out with better fuel economy.

8. 2hellandback

2hellandback Heavy Load Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Blackfoot Idaho
    i have seen my hand figured average go from 5.4 mpg to 7.8 mpg......just depends on alot of factors. when i put new rubber on the drives and trailer i went from a monthly average of 7.5 to 5.5

broncrider:
    Im curious have you figured out why? Oh never mind i read the above :biggrin_25526:,,, im buying used tires from now on!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  9. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    what year motors are prone to this?

KH

10. vicdsm

vicdsm Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2009
    new york

11. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.