Kenworth with N14 Celect Plus Grayish White Smoke on Startup

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by SpeedyGonzalez, Jul 14, 2018.

1. SpeedyGonzalez

SpeedyGonzalez Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Hi everyone,
    I recently bought a second truck (KW t2000)with an N14, haven't gotten to drive it much except around a parking lot. My largest concern at the moment is at a cold start it'll billow a good amount of acrid white smoke until it warms up a bit, my other truck(fld120) with the N14 doesn't smoke one bit even in the dead of winter. From what I can tell there isn't any blow-by, I'm using the tissue in front of the dip stick trick so not exactly scientific. I'm thinking low compression because it disappears once warm, i don't think its head gasket because it doesn't have the sweet antifreeze smell either, it's just real nasty unburnt diesel smell. Could it just be way out of valve lash specs and be way to tight and leak compression off? It's an ESP engine as well, I don't have service records or anything on it but I got it for a steal. Also what are the opinions on the super 10 (non top 2)for long haul/regional, and the kenworth t2000 chassis in general?
    Best Regards,
    Paul

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    That colour is usually from cold combustion, incomplete combustion, lack of heat. Black is from good heat, but too much fuel, not enough air. Might be an injector dribbling fuel after shutdown from the last time you used it.

4. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    I would run a good overhead first then go from there. May be unburnt fuel from valves out of adjustment

5. rrw811

rrw811 Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2011
    WI
    I don't mind the super 10. They seem to have a mostly negative reputation, but I really like running through the gears on them. They're not made to handle a lot of torque (I believe 1550 is the most they're rated for), but I'd take one over a standard 10 or 9 any day.

SpeedyGonzalez Thanks this.
  6. SpeedyGonzalez

SpeedyGonzalez Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Hello again. I took the truck out for a short drive, just relocating it from one place to another but it involved getting on the highway and accelerating. I noticed quite a few things but am unsure whether or not I should group them all under this thread or split them up, for now, I'll just focus on the engine issues. During my pre-trip warmup, I noticed that there was a pretty noticeable miss, I also could hear a popping in the exhaust as if there was fuel igniting in the exhaust or very late into the cycle right before the exhaust valve opened. The miss was audible at normal idle and I could feel it at high idle, but while driving you can only just barely hear it. It doesn's seem to have a negative effect on power as this truck did appear to feel like it pulled a bit harder compared to my other N14, but that might just be the ten speed vs the nine. On acceleration, there isn't any smoke I can see, it appears to only smoke when warming up or revving at a standstill, or maybe I just can't see the smoke while driving. My largest concern by far has been the stop engine light and the truck going into limp mode, its done it twice so far, both times while I was driving on the highway and had a bad shift(missed shift), if I shut it down and restart it's back to normal, no check engine. I'll be getting a non-contact thermometer pretty soon to track down the malfunctioning cylinder(s) but other than that I'm unsure of where else to look.

7. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    You can unplug injectors one by one on the drivers side of the rocker boxes to help narrow down your miss.

Dave_in_AZ and SpeedyGonzalez Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.