Kevin Rutherford..

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by rickybobby, Dec 15, 2013.

1. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    You have to embrace technology. Other countries are running circles around us.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Kevin wanted to interview me on radio in 2006 but I declined. I went from a desk job on Friday with zero experience to my own authority and pulling a flatbed on Monday. I thought it would be easier. I was wrong.

4. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Are you saying the business side is harder? The bs part of the job? Or are you saying the actual job, driving and backing up is harder?

5. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    The business side is pretty easy. It's just so much maintenance, waiting, loads not what they were suppose to be and so on. Lots of stress sometimes. Then again there are the loads that go from Ohio to Washington State cruising 600 miles a day and nothing but nice scenery. Coming back home to NH through NJ, NY, CT sucks big time. I'm fit to be tied when I get home.

6. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Seems people want to debate the training model of Megas without having a clue to the business model as an example of what he said won't work.

Two different discussions.

No Super Trucker will ever admit that success in running a trucking business isn't tied to driving skill but business skills.

No one ever said or implied that someone doesn't need to know how to drive. Actually I think the opposite. A good business owner will understand that driving is just a task. And like any other task in business, the more effective and efficient you are at it, the more profitable you can be.

7. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    ^^^ I'd say a great example of the business sense or lack thereof is the super trucker driving the classic body truck that gets 5 or maybe 6 mpg.
    The fortune in fuel wasted every year to "look cool" is a shockingly horrible business decision. I mean the classics look freaking awesome all fixed up with the chrome, bumpers, stacks, etc,etc. but business wise they are horrible horrible choices.

BigBadBill Thanks this.
  8. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    I love getting great mpg, but I sure wouldn't want to take an aero truck on some of the roads in the oil patch. And there is something to be said for being able to replace a coolant hose 200 miles from civilization without tearing apart your dashboard.

Trucks are tools -- buy the one suited for your intended use...

9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    No wannabe Supertrucker wants to hear that he can't drive, especially when thats what he does to make money. Since you can't drive, you'd better follow Rutherford to the letter as he is the master at teaching non drivers how to survive on $.90/mile plus FSC. You debate like a little girl, having a Caitlyn moment?

Years ago, during Michael Schumacker's prime at Ferrari, he was by far the highest paid athlete in the world. A driver. Yes, there was a lot of tech in that car, but there was also the highest skilled driver behind the wheel. It goes hand in hand. I watched F1 and noticed that the leaders of countries would be there to present trophies to the victors. I wondered why F1 wasn't more popular in the States, until I realized that there wasn't one American that qualified. Why is that? Because in this country, they use tech to dumb things down. A step forward in tech equals a step backwards in skill. So are we advancing? No. Of course, we are being left behind.

The Dumb and Dumber program has been going on for 15 years or so now. If these companies and the goobermint really was concerned about safety, what would be the reasoning behind allowing rookies with 6 months experience to be trainers? Safety? So you put radar and sonar on a truck, anti rollover devices, traction control, and limit the speed. Why? For safety? No, if safety was your primary reason, you would pay for better talent behind the wheel. Why?

Because truth be told, talent is just as important as having business savvy. Especially for an owner OP.

Terry270 and MJ1657 Thank this.
  10. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Are you seriously trying to compare the driving skills in professional racing to driving a truck?

And what the hell is this about 90 cpm? The rate a guy gets has nothing to do with his driving skills, nor if he has a cheap freighter or a stretched out pete.
    The driving part. And the business part are two entirely different things.

11. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Agreed. That would involve specing a truck with business sense.
    Sounds like your operation needs a vocational use type spec. They do make semi aero options for that too btw...

As far as the coolant hoses, I don't have any under my Volvo dash, both heater core feeds are accessible easily under the hood....and have changed hoses on the roadside far away from a service center. Just sayin' ;-)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.