Kevin Rutherfrauds $200000 Signature glider truck has complete engine failure!!!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Bobby Barkert, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I am sure PP will replace the engine, just like Detroit Diesel dealer would. My reman which I had installed by Penn Detroit in Fleetwood PA had a 3 yr 300,000 warantee. Now has 600,000 miles and is fine. I have followed OEM recommendations for nearly 40 years as an owner operator, it has served me well.
    My beef is not with PP power, at least they are in that business and I am sure they have had more successes than failures. I just put a lot more stock in the OEM recommendations which both PP and KR ignore wholesale.
    My real beef is with KR, who like most talk show hosts mix fact with opinion with absolutely no professional training or peer accepted credentials, like being a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), or a degree in engineering from say Lehigh University, the school Lee Iaccoca attended.
    I turned off his program forever a few months ago when he had the ego centric audacity to start telling his audience how to adopt a healthy lifestyle. All of a sudden he considers himself Dr. Kevin Rutherford, with a self bestowed medical degree.
    10% of his suggestions are fine, but the entire process is corrupted by his willingness to sell his opinion on products to the highest bidder, some of which are just a waste of money, some combinations as witnessed here were lethal.
    I smell a lawsuit if Rutherford and Pittsburgh Power don't make it right.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida

Just read thru the whole Facebook record of the truck build.yep seems kinda stupid to tear down a fresh motor just to Micro Blue it.
    What kind of extra extended life or minuscule amount of better efficiency can be gained to justify what had to be an extra 5 grand to disassemble and reassemble plus the MicoBlue process.

4. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    These genuises think they can do it better. They can't. Perfect example. And the icing on the cake was Kevin. The "trucking know it all". More like don't know ####. This is $200,000. Right out the window. I don't know everything there is to know about engines. I don't even pretend to. But I know this little, expensive "Kevin Rutherford Signature" experiment failed.

TTR -1
    KR- 0.

5. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Any bets on where Mr Rutherford and Bruce Mallinson are going to be during MATS in about 2 weeks?
    How many sponsors are going to yank their "support"? Bad time to be him....

6. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    I guarantee he will be there with a big crap eating grin on his face. This man has no shame.

Flyer Thanks this.
  7. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Well I think that when they told him he was going to hock Evans he thought they were talking about Bob Evans.

As far as doing mods to the mechanical parts of the truck and pushing the envelope to get a little more fuel economy or horsepower, if you keep pushing the envelope it is going to tear.

8. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Normally I'd agree, but at some point you have to cut your losses. This glider was at least 6 months late, it never ran right, they had to pay to overnight a bunch of parts that weren't broken, they returned to PP at least once, went through 3 ecms, at least that many tunes, some wiring issues, 3 turbos, at zome point they talked about the cams being wrong, etc. 1 year, 100,000 miles later, it still was not running right. Bruce always brags on the air about doing before/after dynos for customers, where was this dyno? You know he did one -- why was it not published?

Typical show build -- basically a pretty facade

icsheeple and Davidlee Thank this.
  9. Lucar

Lucar Road Train Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Texas
    I'm still in awe.. isn't a Glider supposed to cost way less than a brand new truck? Goli..

10. Riprap

Riprap Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    Saginaw, MI
    The Iowa shop were the ones experimenting with the turbos and ecm tunes, Bruce said on-air he begged the owner not to put one of the turbos (370hp bus motor turbo) on, but they did it anyway and the owners response was "i ran it 5k miles with no issue"
    Bruce was clearly PO'd over the deal because his name was on it while the Iowa shop was tinkering with the motor PP set up, now the motor is junk and everyone is pointing fingers.

11. oicu812

oicu812 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Not necessarily WAY less, but certainly not WAY MORE. :biggrin_2554:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.