Kicked Out By IdleAire???

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Pur48Ted, May 12, 2007.

1. sgsolomon

sgsolomon Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Im curious. Has anyone heard about the propane APU that is coming out? I was told that they sell for half the cost of diesel APUs and are about half the weight?! I think the company is in California, but don't remember their name. I personally think an inexpensive APU is the way to go. The're not restricted by the Idleair locations and you won't get ticketed for idling. Anti-idling laws are going into effect all over the country - like it or not. The solution is to stop idling.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wc5b

wc5b Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Flint, MI
    Have not heard about that. Not sure I would be comfertable with propane over fuel. Is that safe?

4. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    I was kinda of pushed into using their service one night.... no A/C or heat in truck.. was about 35F outside..... and it was nice to have heat in the truck and be a little quite...UNTIL THE REEFER FIRED UP NEXT TO ME AT FULL BLAST FOR 20 MINUTES almost twice an hour.......but a reefer can fire up and break the no idle zone policy... a truck idling is a lot quiter..... just my two cents..

5. bucksandducks

bucksandducks Medium Load Member

Mar 29, 2007
    WI
    I probably shouldn't write this but I guess I will. What if you just use the service one time? Now you will have a membership card and the inserts for your window. They are not supposed to bother you if you don't idle the truck. If they do bother you show them your card and tell them you do not need it tonight. Or you could take the inserts and pretend to use it. A few months ago the Gateway in E St Louis was having a special. IA was free for a half a day and I got the inserts for five bucks. Then I hatched this little plan because parking can be an issue. But, I sure wasn't going to pay for this overpriced product unless there was a football game on cable or something I really wanted to watch. Since then I have parked in three IA locations. Breezewood, Pa TA, Russel, IL, TA, and the TA at the I 71 and US 35 junction in Jeffersonville, OH. No one has yet to bother me. The one in OH asked me if I needed it. I told him "no thanks" and he drove away. So I have yet to try and "stick it to the man".

6. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    First of all, that wasn't the question I asked. But to answer YOUR question:
    Sure they do, but for an employee to walk around the WHOLE lot (which by the way COULD be trespassing) and record information of those NOT in an IA spot goes BEYOND their responsibility. The law enforcement HAS to have permission of the property owner to enter, and I doubt that an IA employee has the right to give that permission for those NOT in an IA spot. I doubt that TA would allow this to continue if they knew it was going on, and I doubt that IA would allow it as well. It is just plain bad business practice.

7. sgsolomon

sgsolomon Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2007
    About Propane and the Propane APU, I found this on the Internet:

The US Department of Energy, Division of LPG Land Transportation and Storage Safety makes the following interesting safety comparison:

"Individual Risk to Specific Fatal Incidents"

Motor Vehicle Accident.........................................1 in 4,700
    Air Plane Crash (as a passenger).........................1 in 140,000
    Struck by Lightning................................................1 in 1,375,000
    Struck by Tornado..................................................1 in 2,450,000
    Dam Failure/Rupture..............................................1 in 6,300,000
    Air Plane Crash (as a person on the ground).....1 in 37,000,000
    Propane Storage or Transportation Incident......1 in 37,000,000

Propane costs about 40% less than diesel fuel if you buy it from a bulk supplier rather than a tank exchange. I found the Propane APU company. It's Lifeforce Energy Corp.

8. johnn5272000

johnn5272000 Light Load Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Bloomington in
    The screams of the mental giants that run Idel aire will will shatter the quiet zone if they wake me up.....My wife will whoop their ##$ cause she hates it when I wake up grouchy!

9. dcedlr

dcedlr Light Load Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Ok, here is my two cents worth:

I do not have a problem with trucks idling at idle-aire as long as those trucks have paid for service during that day and are not just sitting taking up paying customers spots. There have been a number of times when I pulled into a truck stop to use idle-aire and all the spots were full. Unfortunately, over 1/2 of those spots were filled with trucks not even hooked up to idle-aire.

Please do not park in the idle-aire spots if you are not using the service. Would you go into a restaurant and sit at a table for hours without ordering anything? I hope not! Its the same thing; your keeping paying customers from using the service.

10. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    If there are no other places to park, where do you suggest? An "on-ramp"?
    The point is moot anyway; Idleair has filed for Chapter 11 protection until they sell ($210.9M in assets) for $10M.
    Idleair will go the way of Park-N-View soon enough.

11. Schlemazel

Schlemazel Bobtail Member

May 14, 2008
    Colden, NY
    Here's an idea for company's...why not reimburse co-drivers to use this service? It is cheaper than paying for the fuel for your driver to idle...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.