Kicked Out By IdleAire???

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Pur48Ted, May 12, 2007.

1. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I don't think truck stops would be hurt by drivers choosing other places. There just isn't enough parking out there and drivers need to shut down. Somebody will park there. Too many trucks out there looking to nest.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jamwadmag

jamwadmag Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Desert Southwest
    Was trying to say that they didnt lose any parking with Idleaire coming in--BS!!:biggrin_25513:

4. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    While you believe OOIDA is the biggest scam, I believe the biggest SCAM is that PRO-DRIVER Pre-Paid Legal Service. But I do agree that OOIDA is pretty much a self-serving company and isn't concerned about the driver, as an individual.

5. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

I have to admit I am impressed here. My tractor won't even run up to 2600 rpm, much less idle at that speed. My hat's off to you and your trucks ability to run a high idle. How much fuel does it burn at night idling at that rpm?

6. broncrider

broncrider Road Train Member

when i idle, i do hi idle...not that i really need to as wet stacking really isnt an issue with any engine built after the late 80's...but its a habit that i got tought years ago and it does help warm up faster in the winter, i only idle at 800-1000 rpm range and while my tach does go to 3ooo i have never seen it over 1900 rpm

this is my first time using idle air and to be honest so far i am not impressed...the temp is supposed to be 65 yet here i am sweating like a ##### in church....and i thought tv, internet and phone all came with the service...but no thats an additional fee.
    so other than the fresh air ( i am in smog filled socal) i really see no reason why i cant live without it

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Texas
    I used idle air one time and I got anything but fresh air. This was back when it was first installed in West Memphis, decided I would give it a try. My truck, which I had since it was brand new, smelled like cigarette smoke within minutes.

It may have improved since then, but I never gave it another try.

Our company is now equipping all the new trucks with APU's. The 2005 that I am driving now doesn't have it, but when they get their next new set of trucks in, I can't wait to see what it is like. Our drivers that do have it seem to like it, and if it saves the company money, I am all for that.

8. KD5AXG

KD5AXG Papa Bear

Sep 3, 2006
    Commerce, Texas
    I used IdleAire one time back in the winter. It was horrible and expensive. Although, my company at the time would have rathered me freeze than idle the truck. It may be a good deal for OO's, but for company drivers its too darned expensive.

I also asked an I/A attendant about the legality of parking in a spot and not using it, and he said it strictly depends on the relationship between I/A and that truck stop. I still have a membership card, and carry an adapter so if I get questioned, I'll just show them my card and install the unit.

My company is going APU's and I can't wait. EPA has basically said that using an APU should not be regulated.

But, as you know, put six people in a room reading the same law and you will have six different interpretations of that one law.

9. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    He doesn't know....he quit. Perjhaps that was one of the "reasons"

10. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

Can I ask a dumb question here? What exactly is Idle Air? I can deduce that it is a service that you hook your truck up to instead of idling your engine for hours on end. It must be expensive if everyone is complaining about it and not using it? I don't know what I am talking about here, but in theory it sounds much better for the environment that all the diesel idling. Does it power the electricial accessories inside the truck, fridge, micro, etc. What is the downfall of using it, other than the cost? And what is an APU?

11. sgsolomon

sgsolomon Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2007
    If your trucks have sleepers less than 7 ft., have your company check out a company called Lifeforce. They sell APUs for less than $3,000. They have a website. You can find it by looking for Lifeforce APU in your browser. We're all going to have to get used to this. The EPA just anounced they are adopting CARBS anti-idling laws. You'll see them all poping up over America soon. Not really a bad thing when you consider the reasons behind it, but a real pain in the butt. Good Luck

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.