Kicked Out By IdleAire???

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Pur48Ted, May 12, 2007.

1. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    IdleAir is a NEW service showing up in truck stops everywhere. There is a over-head support that holds a big AC unit (one for each truck) the driver puts a big yellow "comdom" in his passenger window. The AC blows somewhat cool air and there is CATV, Internet, 120V available at an additional cost. IdleAir got most of their start-up money from a HUGE Government Grant (TAX$$$) They charge about $1.80 PER HOUR for basic hook-up.
    I have heard that the AC is barely adequate during the HOT months and the heat keeps your truck just above refrigerator temperature during the winter. Can't vouch for that, I don't use it, nor do I intend on starting.

An "APU" is an Auxilliary Power Unit on the truck that burns diesel, powers a HVAC, 120V generator, provides power to keep the batteries charged and block heat during the winter.

IdleAir FORBIDS use of an APU while parked in one of "their" spaces.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sgsolomon

sgsolomon Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2007
    IdleAir is a service provided by some truck rest areas, where you can run a "hose" into your truck for heat or cooling, so you can shut it down. They charge for this, but it cost's far less than idling. They estimate that by 2008 there will be one Idle-Air type slip available for every 14 trucks who need them. APU stands for Auxiliary Power Unit. These are devices - usually diesel generators - that are installed on the truck, and provide auxiliary air and heat, so you can shut down. They save a lot of fuel, but most of them cost a fortune ($6,500 to $10,000). There is one company (Lifeforce Energy) who makes one for less than $3,000. Should be able to find them by typing Lifeforce APU into your browser. This is all good, because, you are right, it's all about the environment and greenhouse gasses. We need to do our part too.

4. Pur48Ted

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI

Back BEFORE GWB was elected, while Clinton/Gore still occupied the Oral Office, three "Captains of Industry" visited them.
    WHO?? you might ask?

Ken Lay
    Jeff Skilling
    (CEO and VP of ENRON; respectively)
    and Brittish Petroleum's Sir John Browne
    Date: Aug 4, 1997
    Agenda: To ensure the US joined up to the KYOTO Protocol: an international treaty capping carbon dioxide emissions, in the name of the catestrophic MANMADE "Global Warming", and as it happens to make each of them an awful lot of money. (Can anyone SAY: Carbon Credits??)

And as any reasonable person knows; CO2 IS NOT a "green-house" gas.
    Man IS NOT contributing to "global warming" and there isn't anything man can do to stop it.
    You should BUY AND READ:
    The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming and Environmentalism by Christopher C. Horner (former White House Insider during the Clinton/Gore Error, and presently Senior Fellow at the Competetive Enterprize Institute)

5. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

Another naive question here, what is the advantage of using an APU over idling? If an APU burns diesel, what is the difference?

6. jamwadmag

jamwadmag Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Desert Southwest
    less than 0.1 gal/hr.....typical truck idles anywhere between 0.5 and 0.7 gals/hr depending rpms idle.

7. sgsolomon

sgsolomon Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2007
    There is no APU on the market that burns .1 gal/hr. - sorry. Most claim to burn .2 or so, and there are 2 that claim .1 gph, but if you look up the specs from the engine manufacturer, you'll find different. The facts show closer to .25 gph. None-the-less, that's about 1/4 of what trucks consume idling, which is a real savings. The problem is their initial expense. Most sell for $6,000 to $10,000. It takes a lot of fuel savings to pay these numbers off. Interesting enough, there is a new APU company (Lifeforce Energy Corp.) who makes a Propane APU that sells for less than $3,000. If you type Lifeforce APU into your browser, you'll find them. $3,000 makes a lot more sense to me.

8. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Texas
    I wouldn't discount the .1 gph claim simply because the manufacturer states otherwise. Just like automobile manufacturers, I am sure these folks probably place specs of .25 or so because they know that number is easily obtainable, rather than list the .1 gph that the APU can probably average in many situations.

Regardless though, it is far less than what a big CAT engine will be using, and is much better on the environment.

9. Thomas0810

Thomas0810 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2007
    BlueRidge Texas
    Thanks for the input

10. Pur48Ted

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Keep commin back
    It works when you work it, so keep workin it cause your'e worth it

11. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Not sure if I like the idea of propane. Lifeforce says a tank should be fine for four days on the road. I realize you can bring extra's but sounds like more trouble than its worth.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.