kingpin

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by 4noReason, Jun 16, 2018.

1. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    if you have balancers on steers and kingpin is bad will tires still be good my tires are good but 1 shop said my kingpin messed up. i had my dad look and he said kingpin is good. i dont see any issues. i had it checked october and no issues. before i go to shop monday i just want to know if maybe i by having centramatics thats why my tires arent showing any issues. ive heard if kingpin bad, then tires are bad.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    A king pin will typically have to get quite a bit play before noticing any tire wear related to camber. If the toe is nuts on it may show no wear even with a little slop in the bushings.

Always check them before greasing as the grease can take up a small amount of slop, until its loaded again anyhow.

4. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I don’t understand what the op is trying to say. Is he or not having funny tire wear ? I’m trying to get a clear understanding, but can’t.
    King pin wear you either see deep grooves in the king pin itself, if not, you can adjust the fifth wheel to remove the slop/play. Also, if all is good, check the plate to make sure you don’t have any dry spots. Keep enough lube on it.

5. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    no tire is fine. my shop at my company told me kingpin is bad. but i dont understand how if my tires are in good shape. thats what im sayimg

6. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Ask this shop one question. How much the kingpin play is off from manufacturer specs? He-he.
    Enjoy the deer in headlights face.

7. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    He is about front axle kingpins

8. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    did you ask them to show you the play in the kingpins. always ask them to show you when they mention something like that to you. you can check it yourself if you have a bottle jack and a tire iron. stick the tire iron threw a hole in the rim and grab the break drum from the outside and pry on it. if that makes sense, king pins may be bad but you may not get enough leverage trying to pry between the ground and the tire.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.