Knight Transportation - Adventures in a big red truck

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by GabeScott, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    OP clarified it a page back. Didn't press the local aspect and moved on.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GabeScott

GabeScott Medium Load Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Well it got a little better. Got another short load that delivers tomorrow AM which let me run off another 236 for a grand total of 2171 for the week. Still that's way to low. After tomorrow's drop I have a drop and hook for 700 miles that delivers ASAP so least I'll start the new week out decent.

4. GITRDUN45

GITRDUN45 Heavy Load Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Can any knight drivers please tell me the specs = wheelbase, gear ratio! auto or 10 or 13 speed in your newest Volvo's please? Curious as I'm about to buy one and run reefer also. Thanks and hope all is safe.

5. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    I agree...I will say this, the one good thing about this industry is that you can still operate a truck but have. Any different options and fields to do it in...in other words a driver can try what suits them best.

6. GabeScott

Feb 16, 2014
    D13 volvo motor, 425 hp, 217 inch weelbase, 3.55 or 3.70 rear end ratio. 9 or 10 speed transmission. 2010 and earlier had 400hp ISX with same specs otherwise. Get a 2010 Prostar with the ISX 435 hp they are a better truck.

7. GabeScott

Feb 16, 2014
    Got the load delivered yesterday no problem. The drop and hook was ready two hours after the apt time, sigh. Go to hook to the trailer and the landy gear was missing ALL THE BOLTS on one side of the cross-member. The trailer was leaning noticeably to one side. I was able to get under it and get it to a TA you took all of 5 minutes to replace the bolts.

Amazes me that they loaded the trailer with 43k and the landing gear compromised. That trailer could have flopped over to one side during loaded. That I have no doubt of since one of the legs was bent inward at a angle and the trailer was leaning that way.

8. GITRDUN45

GITRDUN45 Heavy Load Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Thanks Gabe. I'm purchasing new. Not a believer on I shift hu? That cause I'll be hailing reefer? I have decided d13 as great ratings from all. So you with knight? I know they haul reefer and volvo is why I asked.

9. GabeScott

Feb 16, 2014
    Well if your going new then a volvo with I-#### is a good choice, I thought you where looking to buy a used truck from Knight. Me personally if I hit five numbers but no mega the next time the lotto is at like 400m( if I hit the mega too you'll never see my fat rear on here again!) I'd be getting a Mack with the 70 inch condo and M-drive with 505 hp(pretty much the same engine/trans your gonna get in a volvo).

okay got the 700 mile load dropped a day early at a wally world DC. My reward? A 150 mile load that does pick up till 1300 the next day. Voice my displeasure with the endless string of short runs I've gotten this week. I must have struck the right balance of firm but civil because my next load was 1300 miles with two extra stops.

Oh yeah almost forgot. Saw the aftermath of what probably was a fatal accident with a compact car vs. big rig. The car was upside down in the south bound lane and about 50 feet further south I could see something laying in the roadway as our side(I was south bound) got our turn to go by in the unblocked northbound lane. At first I thought it was some body work off one of the vehicles or luggage. Once I took a second look I was rather surprised when I realized it was the compact cars motor!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
  10. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    So what terminal are you based out of GabeScott? And what areas do you typically run?

11. GabeScott

Feb 16, 2014
    I'm based out of the North Cal terminal in Tulare, CA. Most of the North Cal office people have been moved to Phoenix due to it's more favorable business rules. I'm running Western 11 and so far I've been to 10 of the 11 in my first 3 weeks back. New Mexico is the only western 11 I haven't made it to yet.

Knocked out my first 2 picks plus 315 miles today and now I'm setting across the freeway from the third one which is set for 0800 tomorrow. Plan is to grab it and knock out 500 miles tomorrow.

Made the 3rd pick and knocked out a little over 400 miles. About 275 to go to the drop tomorrow. Got a 185 mile load that is drop/hook asap on both ends for after the drop so tomorrow will be a full day.

Saw the aftermath of that horrible crash on on I-5 in northern California. Hit's home for me because I used to be a bus driver and now I'm a truck driver and we lost one of each in that crash. It's also really sad to here that we lost several kids that where on their way to see the college they had been excepted to.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2014
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.