Knight Transportation Bad News

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by stown, Nov 25, 2007.

1. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA

Since you live in ID you could try May Trucking out of Payette? ID. They weren't that bad to work for when I worked there.

I worked for them for a little over 6 months after being out of trucking for a year so I could get my local gig which required 6 months in the last year. So I don't see why they would not hire you after driving local for a year.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigblue19

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA

Don't think he can do that since they require you live close to the terminal you work out of. Each terminal has their own fleet , dispatch and recruiting so you can do a turn and get home.

A friend of mine is a casual driver for them and works out of the Seattle terminal and does there 7/7 program. She just did 3 loads from Seattle to Phoenix, Yuma to LA, 2 locals, and LA back to Seattle in 7 Days and went home. Some stay out for 5 days and do a restart. Some stay out longer but are still required to take time off from driving from time to time if they live out of their truck.

knuckledragger Thanks this.
  4. rdonovan1

rdonovan1 Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I am working for Knight Refrigerated out of Phoenix and I have over 5 years experience driving trucks. I have been unemployed for the last 6 months since I left Swift and I did not have any problems getting hired by Knight.

I used to work for Roads West in 2006 before I went to Swift and in my opinion Knight is a far better company than Swift any day of the week. At least at Knight they do talk to you more than Swift does. I have been with Knight Refrigerated for the last month and I have not really had too many problems with them. I admit that things are just a little messed up right now, but things are improving for the most part.

Mileage is down, but that is mostly a matter of the economy being the way that it is at the moment. Many trucking companies throughout the United States are going out of business due to the high fuel prices and the weak economy.

5. DiMeNsIoNs

DiMeNsIoNs Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Smyrna ,TN
    Just wanted to add my two cents. I think Knight is a really good company. I worked for them from Jan 08 to June 08 and never had a problem, left and took some time off waiting for my other job to come back and found out GM is going down the tubes and did not renew our contract. Called Knight back and im going back monday to Memphis for rehire and will be working out of the new Lebanon terminal near Nashville.
    Ive only worked for 3 companys in 8 years.

Started at Star Transportation was there for 3 years hauling dedicated GM freight. Moved to Ryder and hauled GM parts for another 4 years and now with Knight.

Things I like about Knight is you get paid the day after you finish your load ( Transflow) . Yes its cool. You run 2500 miles ( as fast as you can ) and get home a full 48hrs. No forced dispatch. New 06-08 volvos. Talk to your dispatcher every day. ( yes they will know who you are after a few weeks ) Cool dedicated accounts like Cummins. Just like they say large company to work for but still small enough to know you. In the 6 months so far I have only had one load I turned down and that was inside long island. Told him sorry I do not do NYC he said no problem and THAT day found me 2 local loads and one that got me home for that weekend.

Most if not every driver that has problems with a company does it to themselves. Will you have problems at Knight... Sure... BUT will other companys work with you like Knight will.. Not sure that is possible... The main reason I went with Knight was the hometime. Im sure other drivers that live in very rual areas have problems getting home but hey that is what happens. With me living near Nashville Im always within a day from home. Hope this post helps out and just wanted to add my two cents about Knight.

6. bigblue19

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    Someone I know who works for Knight had a load to Canada that she was going to drop in the Tukwila Wa yd. But then was told to drop it in the Portland yd and pu a load to Tacoma WA for a 0500 delivery and then drop trl in the Tukwila yd and go home.

She arrived at the receiver on time for her appt and checked in and paid the lumper to unload her Quaker load out of Stockton Ca. The trailer was finally unloaded by around 12 noon and she finally got the bills by around 1400. She made sure that she got in and out times and signatures from the receiver and informed Knight that the delay was because of the breakdown 50 plts into 89 and the day of the week Friday.

No detention was paid and when inquires where made as to why, she was told they only pay detention if they collect it, which is rare. So far she has added up at least $200+ in detention pay since last Dec she has not received even though she was told on hire that they paid it after two hours if the bills were marked with the times.

She also informs me that she has paid out of pocket $180 for truck washes in which she was only reimbursed half because they pay a fleet rate at her terminal which is not paved to wash truck, but it is on Wednesdays and she is never their on a Wednesday so has to get them on the road. She is even charged to get her company tractor washed at other terminals when the drivers for those terminal get it for free.

Other then that she says her miles are great, hometime is weekly and the truck has not had any but a couple minor issues.

7. DiMeNsIoNs

DiMeNsIoNs Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Smyrna ,TN
    Yeah I also have found out that you gota stay on them about detention pay. Krogers is where I was always getting stuck for 4 to 6 hours. But also if you find that a customer is popular for getting you stuck you can just tell Knight Ahh I really need money this week and cant affort to get stuck at (x) all day and they usally say ok let me find something else.

8. forgotten1

forgotten1 Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2008
    corcoran, ca
    Yes the detention pay is spotty.

If she's running the western states why is she paying to have her truck washed at all. Knight has 2 automated washes, one at the tulare terminal and one at the Pheonix terminal. Each ID badge can use either of those washes twice a month. Also, in SLC, UT they have an account at the Truck wash by the Sapp Bro's Truck stop which can be used once a month.

Also a lot of terminals have mobile washes come in and wash trucks on site. iIf she sees one when she's at a terminal she can tell them to wash her truck and they will.

9. Owner's Operator

Owner's Operator Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Chicago IL
    Does anyone know what pay looks like at Knight? I could not find anything on their website. Are they on a sliding scale?

10. forgotten1

forgotten1 Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2008
    corcoran, ca
    starting:

.33/mile trips over 500 miles
    .35/mile trips 300-500
    .39/mile trips 200-300
    .42/mile trips 50-200
    12/hr trips under 50

.01 raise 30days
    .01 raise 90 days
    .01 raise 1 year
    .005 raise each year next 6 years to cap

raise apply to all length of hauls equally

Baack Thanks this.
  11. Owner's Operator

Owner's Operator Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Chicago IL
    So it's basically .33 cents for any decent length trip. Sounds way low to me. I am looking for at least 40 CPM.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.