Labor costs on an overhaul in your area?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by OW/OP Wolfman, Feb 20, 2015.

1. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    labor rate is a poor indication of the quality of the work IME. I wouldn't be afraid to pay 100+ if I knew the think would hold together. My local KW dealer replaced a head gasket twice and when it blew the third time time I took it to the old neighbor. He says "For what they charge, you'd think these kids would figure why it was blowing the head gasket and fix that." Sure enough he found a sunken liner that they missed.

BeN DaViS, wore out and randomname Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Failure analysis is becoming a lost art

rank, tommymonza and BeN DaViS Thank this.
  4. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    If I could find someone around here that would do engine work for a lower rate, professional diagnosis fix it right one time, stand behind their work I might give them my business. Maybe not, relationships are important. As it is the local Thompson CAT dealer is the only competent shop I have ever found. So really I don't mind the rate because they have always been able to find and fix my problems. I recall after they inframed the motor the truck was out in the parking lot and one of the rubber radiator shroud pieces wasn't secured properly and it quickly got sucked into the fan blades pretty much destroying them.

They freighted a new one over night and replaced it without another word the next day lol. I remember when my turbo blew up last fall I didn't have a steam cleaner to get the oil out of the air to air. So I go see those guys and for no charge we spent a good 45 minutes steam cleaning out my air to air. I did of course purchase misc gaskets, etc for the turbo replacement. I could go on and on. Have gotten a few incidental freebies over the years. I still get sticker shock on a bill now and then but I quit complaining about them long ago. It's like the people who pay my rates without flinching or hesitation. They are competent in a world of incompetence so I just pay it and go on glad that I can get on my way again.

wore out, rank and BeN DaViS Thank this.
  5. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    Well said RC

I moved to Tn. 8 years ago from Montana. In Montana I had the best relationship with my local Cat and Peterbilt shops. The shop boss, mechanics, and parts men knew me by first name.

8 years here and I'm still just another owner operator. That relationship is priceless.

6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    If you've never done business with the Manchester shop those are the people I deal with all the time - really good folks. They will all know you after a couple or 3 trips there. Can't speak for the La Vergne location (or others) and truck dealers around here are worthless leaches - have much the same experience as you with those.

7. Harold196

Harold196 Light Load Member

Dec 19, 2009
    I use Rick Dowd Diesel Repair in Newberry, SC.. His shop is just off I-26 , Rick is ASE Certified.
    He really does not do major over hauls, but he does everything from tune ups to wheel seals to wiring.. He is also SC Dot certified for Inspections, and you can not give him a 20 bill to look the other way.. Rick Charges $ 65.00 a hour and no mark up on parts.. His Number is 803.276.8705
    I hope this can help .. I will not take my truck and trailer to the overpriced dealer or truck stops.
    I also know a dang good mech. in Fargo ND .. I will post Keven's later today...

punksmacker Thanks this.
  8. Harold196

Harold196 Light Load Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Wore Out, How about putting contact information , so that your shop can be contacted..

Thank You.. Harold G.

9. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.