Lady LTL trucker wanting to make change, need advice

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by jungledrums, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Probably said to hell with tanker I'll stay LOL.

jungledrums Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Univar has two yards in Hou. And I have buddies at both one make 90k plus. And the other makes abt 62k and is ready to bail from univar

jungledrums and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  4. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    There are so many tanker jobs from San Antonio to Baton Rouge. Some pay great and others pay just enough to get by. There are regional and local jobs. Then there are the OTR companies witch I could care less about.

Linde is hiring and offering a 5k sign on bonus in Houston.

Air Products are hiring in multiple areas.

Nalco pays good and I has a lot of perks. But they are really strict!!!

Pilot needs fuel haulers across the country.

Also Loves/Gemini needs fuel truck drivers. If you have never driven tanker Gemini will give you a chance.

The oilfield has plenty of tanker driving jobs. Some companies may provide housing. And with others you will have to stay in the truck.

jungledrums Thanks this.
  5. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    @haz-matguru I was not aware of two yards as I went to the one near the hobby airport.

6. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    I pulled milk tanker for a small 3 truck owner doing farm pickups in northwest tenn, Illinois, and Kentucky. Dumped at a terminal in Fulton, KY. Did some line haul to covington, tn also.

Once you learn the farm routes, it is easy to pump on the milk from the farm tank. Unloading at a plant is done by the plant staff.

My first driving job was in the upper Midwest, and an eight hour drive line haul pulling a milk tanker. Smooth driving is easy, so surge was not a problem for me. It was mostly low traffic interstates, so an easy drive to Lake Noreen, SD or western MN. That was a small owner operator with 6-7 trucks.

The backhaul was always empty. The tanker was washed out by the plant where you dumped....takes about 45 minutes. Unloading time is 30 - 45 minutes.

jungledrums and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. Cali kid

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Like I said all depends on location.

8. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    @Cali kid do you know anything about mission petroleum, I always wonder about them.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I managed the unloading while the staff monitored the progress. Then when finished the cleaning and reassembly of the valves, pump, impeller etc I would pull up to the other end to get washed and then sanitized. They pretty much took care of that part. I just had to be present to make sure the hatches etc are ok.

I was so tiny in those days, the bumper was probably bigger than I was. Thank god I am not that tiny anymore. It caused some trouble when they had to bring the horses out to chain and extract me from the mud in two of the farms.

10. Cali kid

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    No

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’m you’re in great shape given your last job, but just make sure you’ve given thought of all the ramifications of this. Hoses can get pretty for example.

Then, there’s the issue of food grade. That means no baffles and driving gently becomes a must.

Best of luck.

jungledrums Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.