Landing gear

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Rideandrepair, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Yesterday, while dropping my Trailer, I noticed the leg on opposite side of crank, didn’t go down far enough. It was already not even, now it’s gotten much worse. Maybe, gear is stripped. I’m sure I can unbolt the cross bar, Line both up even,and bolt the bar back up. But I’m guessing it will probably happen again. I can replace the whole leg, it’s bolted on, no welding needed. Is that the only choice? Can I replace just a gear ? I think there’s a gear driven chain inside. Can Will it be safe to droup, if I just match the lengths back up? The only access is a plate, on top of leg. I want it to be safe, definitely don’t want to lose it, while driving, or have it drop, while loading.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Have a shop deal with that problem. It may look simple but you cannot risk the legs failing at a dock, if they did then it will fall on you for everything.

Rationale behind my answer. If a gear is stripped, Im pretty sure you have no spares around and arent going to "Mooch" one off another trailer. If something else is busted it will take a shop to fix as well.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Normally if they are down there down. Never saw one strip that way. If you drop it at a dock you could find yourself in a jam and not be able to pick it up.
    We refer to that as the dead leg. I believe it has two gears in the top. They are attached to shafts with roll pins. May have just sheared a pin.
    If you get the name and numbers off the legs parts are available for some of them. They always have to be ordered. Normally we just put a new set on as they are normally well used anyway. Sometimes some places you can buy just one leg but it has to be the same brand and model.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.