Landstar canceled me

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by nhramember, Feb 5, 2014.

1. nhramember

nhramember Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Some people don't understand that they have a sitting duck policy and when the dot wants to see paperwork not some educated guess which is classified as a falsification . Your fine would have been here in md 1000 bucks . They should put a warning on elog like cigarettes this could be hazardous to your driving career. They don't wanna take responsiblity for the lack of being able to provide me proof when I needed it most.

fuzzeymateo Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    How are you supposed to remember the details of your last 7 days in order to backfill a paper log in the event of an elog failure, without creating multiple logs? Around these parts, showing an officer a nonfunctional elog, combined with some notation of recap and a current day's paper log is the same as not having your last 7 days. Ding, you're in violation.

The entire elog industry conveniently ignores this very real scenario and leaves the drivers to fend for themselves.

fuzzeymateo Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What I do not get is why you could not get Qualcomm to dictate the info to you so you can fulfil your obligation for paper back up?

I mean asking them to read off the times and locations and other important info for the past 7/8 days seems to be better than to say "it's broke"

As for your lease, get a lawyer and get LS to reconsider their decision. They have the right but your case is too easy to fix.

5. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

The problem with all of these fixes is that when the unit was found to be "dead", the scale house has their priority on the receiving of the fax. Machine is down and then if he went out to the truck and did them by phone, they are not the "logs as filed" and they know it.

CATCH 22

6. vangtransport

vangtransport Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2009
    nhramember, The bottom line is, you realized your machine was down and made the decision to run down the road and got busted. Landstar made the decision to terminate your lease because of that decision. Put yourself in Landstar's shoes, CSA effects them as well as you, they now have points due to your decision. You should consider owning up to it, prior to applying to another company. When you apply to another company just tell them it was a poor decision and you learned from it. If you go in bashing Landstar because of this you may find it hard to sign on with a good company. It's nobodies fault but your own, it may take a little bit for you to realize it, but it was all on you. I'm not bashing you or claiming I'm some saint, I just think based on what you stated happened that night, it's all on you.

7. nhramember

nhramember Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Dude the machine went out right before I got to the scale but besides that I less than 30 min from home and they wrote me for no 8 days. How many guys here are leased to landstar and no there policies . They didn't want to accept responsiblity for my out of service so they went back in my logs to ind a reason too. I'm ok I already got another job in the works.

8. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Back in 2000, Landstar got reamed really bad with Ligon. They were running 5 days on one sheet or something like that.

It was bloody.

When I leased to them, they were very strict on the logs. They did not believe 15 minute pti, pu trailers and loading and unloading.

9. vangtransport

vangtransport Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Like I said I'm no saint and being that close to my house, who knows what I would do. I live 11 miles from a truckstop and used to drive to and from it in the truck without touching a log book, if one of the state police cars pulled me over, I'd own it. Of coarse they wrote you for the 8 days, you had no logs. I'm sure they could have given you a break but they didn't. You get what I'm saying right? Unless you had no other choice but to cross that scale, meaning you were already decelerating into the scale house, not that it went out thirty minutes prior, then it's on you.

SHC Thanks this.
  10. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I did not read thru all the replies, so you may have answered this already.....

When did the EOBR quit working exactly? When did you notice it was no longer working?

EDIT: I just read your response above....

He is correct, you realized the EOBR was not working, yet continued going down the road. In that aspect, it is your own fault for getting the ticket. As soon as you realized it was no longer working,you should have stopped and started a paper log. And if you want to argue that, it's the same as driving down the road with a flat tire. Sure, it happens, but you have to take responsability for it.... Now I'm not saying I would not have kept on rolling as well, but I would not have gone across a scale without some type of log in my possession. As for getting the past 8 days, that was going to be tough, but since you came off a reset, you could have just shown the last 7 days as off-duty. The officer was just doing thier job...

As far as LS goes, they are also just doing their job as well, and protecting themselves. Any company would do the same thing. It is not their fault the unit quit working, or that you decided to keep driving down the road.

That said, i hope the new job works out for ya and things go smoother for you in the future.

vangtransport Thanks this.
  11. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    There is no way to tell you how much I love that picture. I pay my insurance, keep my IFTA up to date, Keep my log book within 4 hours. The Bears leave me be. Oh I am both, Biker/Trucker. I'm either blessed or doomed, don't know yet.

SHC Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.