Landstar Corporation - Jacksonville, Fla.

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by fatboy1, Jul 3, 2006.

1. BearGator56

BearGator56 "The G stands for GOOD!"

Apr 11, 2006
    Orlando, FL

It's my understanding that they allow you to pull their dry boxes without fee. It's the flatbeds and reefer units that are leased out. I could be mistaken, but this comes from a Landstar guy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PortlandDriver

PortlandDriver RIP, May You Be Heaventown Bound!

May 30, 2005
    Pacific Northwest
    The agent should have done the math before posting that load, that kind of rate will not pay the fuel. Were that number came from is that it is based on the rail road rates that swift, schneider and jb charge and the only time the trailer is on a tractor is to and from the railyard...

4. skullitor

skullitor Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2005
    New England
    You mean a B.C.O.? LMAO

5. Duckie

Duckie Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Alabama
    My truck is leased onto Dallas Mavis a real 100% o/o outfit, we sometimes get loads from landstar, I will say this their loads dont pay anywhere in the same ballpark as Dallas Mavis loads.

6. wreckless4thf

wreckless4thf Light Load Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Seymour,Tn
    Hi, I work for Landstar and have now for 2.5 yrs, If you have any questions about them feel free to ask. Most of the stuff here that I have read is bs. I grossed 140K to the truck last year and done pretty well. The freedom to be your own boss is what keeps me here although I do still keep my eye out for someplace that I could make more money, (don't you)? Anyway they do have faults I will admit and they piss me off on a regular basis, but I have never worked anywhere company driver or owner/operator that hasn't been worse. Like I said if you want the real facts just ask one of us. Some of the info stated above is correct and some is wrong. Agents are allowed to have trucks. No we don't haul loads for .55 per mile. I average between 1.60 and 2.00 per mile including fuel surcharge and after LS's part get around 1.20-1.60 per mile and that is short miles with no dead head. (Very Short Miles).....

7. wreckless4thf

Sep 11, 2006
    Seymour,Tn
    Here it is again, another person whacking Landstar. If your going to whack them be honest,OK!!! You say you have to pay them to pull there trailer and still get 67% that is a lie. If you pull there trailer you get 67% if you pull your own you get 75%. You don't pay them off of the 67% to pull there trailer. Did you really work for them or did you just try to sign on and they wouldn't let you on, now your on a mission to destroy? I work for them now as we speak I am in my truck with a Landstar trailer and yes they do things that piss me off but you have to be honest when your whacking someone. If anyone wants to know anything about Landstar just ask me or another person who is leased to them.
    Thanks.

8. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Everybody sues everybody else. It's the American way.

9. RoadRocket

RoadRocket Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2006
    L.A. = Lower Alabama
    Well here is my 2% ! Thats what Landstar charges me when i broker a load from them. I am not leased on to them or anybody and never will be. Landstar tells me this 2% is for insurance and they are telling their lease drivers it's for paperwork. LOL Its a ripoff either way. When i asked them for what type of insurance it was for they couldn't come up with an answer or provide me with a copy of the policy. So what i do now is just raise my price 2%. When Landstar doesnt have enough company drivers(leased on owner/operators) they broker it out to contract carriers like me. I do not give them 25% + 2% ! I am not going to give anybody 27% of my hard earned money. When i show up at the consignes and stand around bsing with the other drivers the pay always seems to be at least part of the conversation. It seems like every time i have to walk over to the truck and break out a copy of my contract to confirm what i'm getting paid. I agree that Landstar lies to their company drivers(leased on owner/operators) , contract carriers , agents and anyone they can make a buck off of. I hope they do get sued and lose. And yes they are slick when they can talk you out of 27% of your money and make you think your getting a fair deal.

10. wreckless4thf

Sep 11, 2006
    Seymour,Tn

When you sign on with them you agree to get 67 of 98% there trailer or 75 of 98% your trailer, I guess thats stealing huh even though we all agree to the charge. So If I am pulling for such a crappy company please tell me who else I should lease with?

11. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    I've been with Landstar for a year now and like working with them. Every thing has its down sides and LS is no exception.
    BUT its been my experience that those that bad mouth LS and stir up hate and discontent are those that tried the LS way and either failed or got fired. Just like the claims in this thread of .55 a mile, forced dispatch, and company trucks are bogus. If you are hauling .55 a mile then that is your own fault over here.

My last month average ALL miles was $1.44. I tend to have to dead head out of my home area a long some times.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.