Landstar Dry van

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Ghostzapper951, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Ghostzapper951

Ghostzapper951 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2013
    CA
    Retiring in few months from my current employer. Truck driving has been a lifelong dream. After i get my experience from the starter comps O/O is my objective. At Landstar the Step deck seems to be the trailer of choice. Dry van works better for me. My modest pension will cover my home bills so 5000 a week isn't my mission. Im planning on bring my own Dry van thats paid for and a truck note under 1400 a month. Is 1800-2300 asking a lot in Dry van at Landstar after operating expenses?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    $5000 per week, 25% LS cut and you have $3750. $1000 for fuel and you have $2750 for truck maintenance and net profit. Do your math and think of how much work you will have to do to gross that 5k

4. Ghostzapper951

Ghostzapper951 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2013
    CA
    I don't have access to Landstar load boards so pucking in the numbers would be guess work, i know its a complex question.

5. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    After fuel, plates, permits, insurance, and various little expenses, but before FIT, FICA, your $1400 truck payment, and your truck maintenance expenses? That's a reasonable expectation.

6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    My guess is the current market should be able to sustain about $1.80 / mile for a new O/O. As you gain experience and stop using the load board and getting relationships established with brokers you can average north of $2 / mile. Figure out when and where freight pays more, ie. your lanes.

7. TheRipper

TheRipper Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Landstar dry van would be hard to average anywhere close to 2 a mile TTT if using the load board. That's a fact.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. Globalman65

Globalman65 Bobtail Member

May 1, 2017
    I couldn't agree more with that statement. I left LS a few yrs ago and got my own authority. Got a reefer and found a few great brokers and I instantly doubled my revenue. I've built a good relationship with the shippers I Haul for and now cut out the broker in the middle. Was it easy? NO but it now pays off for all the hard work and selling your self and the business. I've since then gone from a one trk operation to six trks and it's been great. Something I couldn't achieve with LS as far as doubling my revenue across the board.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.