Landstar / EOBR

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Truck609, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Autocar

Autocar Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2012
    The Hot Rod Shop Oxford, AL
    You manually put it on "Personal Conveyance", before moving. That will keep it from going to line 3, once you start moving. LS has it set for 1 hour.

Junkyard Johnney Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Autocar

Autocar Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2012
    The Hot Rod Shop Oxford, AL
    You shutdown, as the law prescribes. Pretty simple, ain't it?

MNdriver and strawberryrhubarbpie Thank this.
  4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Maybe the only way we will ever organize drivers walking away for a while will be through an EOBR mandate. It isn't the solution. The time wasted at shipping and receiving is the problem. But addressing the root of the problem would make too much sense.

5. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    Right. Well, nothing except your 14hr/day clock. It's a juggling act no matter what, but electronic is a useful way to stay legal.

6. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Must be nice everywhere you go the customer has a place for you to sit there waiting for a computer to deem you are ready and safe to ride. Let alone any driver amenities.

7. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012

The thing is, they don't.

I have even had a couple of consignees/shippers tell my I can't stay on the property and they would have me towed.

I simply asked them if they wanted to use my phone or theirs. Subject was dropped at that point too.

8. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    That isn't a sustainable system. It might work for you but not the for bulk of drivers. Try that at a wal mart dc, for example.

Maybe the goal is to have every truck on the road team trucks? Wouldn't have any parking issues anymore now would we.

9. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    If my time runs out at a customer, and I have to leave when they are done, I just to the OFF DUTY Driving selection and go find a place to hide out. I try to do a break at a customer, but we all know that isn't practical all the time.

Now that being said, when I show up at a customer, I will immediately go to ON DUTY for roughly 10 min, then I go to OFF DUTY or SLEEPER. At least if they take their time and I go past the 14, my break has already begun when I switched to OFF DUTY. Is this accurate to what you are actually doing? Probably not. But, there is NO regulation that says each and every minute you are on a customer's property must be logged ON DUTY. And for those that think there is a DOT cop for every driver out there and they are running around in cars checking on every driver, you have issues I can't help you with. If I have to leave, then the OFF DUTY DRIVING option doesn't affect the break at all. I just leave and go find a place to park and finish out the 10 hr. If I was loading there, this is really not legal by the regs since I am under a load, but if I am empty when I leave, there is no conflict with the regs.

The EOBR is not that big a deal, if one puts a little of their gray matter to work and uses solutions to various problems. Like with most things, don't be blatant about how you go about doing things, and you will not attract attention to yourself. Like the solution I stated above. If you go about messing with driving after the 14 doing what I mentioned at a customer, each and every day, then you will eventually be looked at. But we all know that these situations don't happen, except in very few cases, each and every day. Just use a little common sense and there are ways to make it all work fine, even under an EOBR. And to those that think there is a black helicopter overhead watching each and every thing you do and comparing it to the EOBR....... get a life.

There, of course, will come a situation where the EOBR will mess things up. But with a little over 1.5 years on this thing, I can count on one hand, and still have fingers left over, the times that it totally screwed me up. But I have to admit, you have to do your planning, and it is going to put a crimp in the style of those that want to hit every truck stop and play tiddly winks with Mary Jo Rottencrotch.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  10. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Just one question, Cowpie1.
    That is how I do it on paper also. However, when you have a BOL stating time in and time out, legally that has to be logged as ON duty right? If the Elog shows you as taking your break, now what? "Legally" it should be start 10 hours off from the time you got done loading until you can begin next 14 hour day.

11. Junkyard Johnney

Junkyard Johnney Light Load Member

May 27, 2012
    Plains,Mt
    Don't mean to butt in here, I have run into this also, my solution was they stuck it in the door or on the seat and I dealt with it when I came out of the sleeper or off break. Mostly I deal with that offloading on the weigh in tickets as the shipper I load with regularly doesn't time stamp. That isn't etched in stone just the sort of norm. Paperwork is paperwork time, the only scenario I see a problem is actual driver activity ie; fueling, tarping , ect. Not sure if that helps or not, may not work for everyone...
    J-J

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.