Landstar / EOBR

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Truck609, Aug 5, 2012.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    You know how it is driver. You must have something to hide. Don't you know it's the new cool they crack a whip and say jump, you ask how high? You got a problem with them telling you when you're tired, stop driving - or collecting and reading all of your emails, texts? What are you trying to hide? Don't you know there's soldiers dying in Afghanistan and Iraq protecting your freedom. This is America love it or leave it.. Am I right?

Sent from my droid using Tapatalk 2

66truck Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. extraenterprises

extraenterprises Light Load Member

Mar 20, 2013
    warren indiana
    So anybody that likes anything you dont should just sell their truck? Get a life. If it makes my life easier Im going to use it. I couldnt care less if you like it or not

4. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Wow. Sometimes I wonder at the wasted hostility towards those that are using EOBR's and like them. Seems a little strange. The ones that seem to like them are the ones paying the bills, yet others feel the need to throw negative comments their way as if they are the ones who are forking over the cash to operate them. What's up with that? Such hostility from someone who has no skin in the game with these other folks that use them and seem to like them. Just because someone decides to use something in the course of their operation is really no one elses problem, unless that other person is the one paying the bills and such. Until then, if folks choose to run using EOBR, then who really gives a rip. I don't. I don't have any money in their operation, so I have no real input.

I sense issues here. At the very least a "me thinks ye doest protest too much". You might want to sit on the couch with Oprah and air these grievances and reduce the sense of hostility. Maybe instead of blaming a landstar driver, you might switch gears and blame your daddy for the treatment you got as a child.

5. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Not a fan of the mandate - my opinion on government overreach is well documented. But take the mandate away and why should anyone have an issue with these. Everyone should be able to make a good living driving legal. And if you drive legal then you should be some that embraces this new technology as it makes life easier. But it is something new and it is not in our nature to accept new things. I saw an old article talking about air ride seats. Drivers and carrier where complaining about them because "they didn't let the driver feel the road" and "what happens when the driver gets bounced out of them". Sorry, certain things I just don't need to feel for 500 miles a day.

6. fireba11

fireba11 Heavy Load Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Tracy City, TN
    Bill, I remember when brakes were mandated for the steering axle and all the drivers were like, It's the end of the world! I wouldn't wanna drive a truck without steering axle brakes now. I am sure this will end up going the same way.

7. extraenterprises

Mar 20, 2013
    warren indiana
    Those guys that choose not to use them are within their rights to do so. I admit I had reservations about usibg it when I started but I love it now.

8. extraenterprises

Mar 20, 2013
    warren indiana
    I feel the same way about the mandate. I still remember 121 computer brakes. But the mandate aside I like the product

9. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    My whole problem with it is sometimes, and I'm willing to bet everyone on paper logs has or currently does this, sometimes on a legal run a person might get tired and pull over to take a couple of hours power nap. In some circumstances with EOBR, and this is not a rare far fetched stretch, this can cause one to bump against their 14 and end up, needlessly 10 hours behind schedule. Driver is forced to drive tired because that is compliant whereas common sense with some reasonable flexibility, well that is the safe way, but the regs don't allow that. It's really simple. This is basically OOIDA's argument against EOBR and they are seeking alternative solutions which give drivers some reasonable flexibility. An inflexible 14 hour rule coupled occasional tighter schedules and a computer that tells you you're compliant.. ...when you know you are tired? Who's side is the company or customer going to be on here if that load is late. This creates an unsafe driving condition putting the driver and public at risk for their lives but it's compliant so all is good?

Sent from my droid using Tapatalk 2

Lone Ranger 13 and volvodriver01 Thank this.
  10. extraenterprises

Mar 20, 2013
    warren indiana
    The situation you describe does exist but the fact is thats a problem with the rules and not the equipment used to keep track of them. If you fudge on a paper log you are in violation period. God forbid a drunk hits you and kills someone you will be crucified when mr. Drunks attorney finds falsified logs

11. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    They'd never find it if it was done correctly is the thing. There's no excuse for not being current while driving anyways. That's a rule I never break. As far as checking time stamps be my guest... ...now if I want to grab a couple or 3 hours nap enroute on a trip because I'm unsafe, I'm going to do that regardless what my 14hr rule situation is, always have and always will. That is the SAFE and correct thing to do.

I lay out a situation for you here. let's say you are on EOBR and you are tired and should pull over to grab a couple of hours nap, but you can't because you'll run out of your 14 hours, and it was made known that the customer is needing your load on time no exceptions.. It is also known by dispatch that you have time to legally run this load. So in the middle of the run you';re getting a little weary, say it's 2am and you probably should pull over and nap but you don't because of time constraints.. ..so that motorcycle or drunk driver runs under your truck after you push on and someone gets killed. And of course you are found to be in compliance and not at fault so all is well, no lawsuit, no jail time. If you had some flexibility in that scenario you'd probably have pulled over and it likely would have never happened. But it doesn't matter. You didn't get in trouble because you were in compliance. Somebody died though didn't they?

We could go back and forth with what if scenarios all day long here. That is all beside the point. The point is, and at least you did owe up to it, there is a problem, a BIG problem with these inflexible rules. they do not work in the real world where stuff happens... ...but the people who make them up, they have never lived in the real world and have no idea about real world implications and costs of their ivory tower decisions.

MPH2 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.