Landstar / EOBR

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Truck609, Aug 5, 2012.

1. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Not used one but have tried to help others new to them, the Peoplenet units have some of these issues, and personal conveyance would make everything simpler even on paper.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. extraenterprises

extraenterprises Light Load Member

Mar 20, 2013
    warren indiana
    An eobr is simply a different way of recording the same thing you would on a paper log. The same rules apply from a federal standpoint. The big difference is that company a might not choose to recognize personal conveyance for their company trucks or company b may not want to mess with a split on duty time situation. Most of the secret is going to be getting familiar with the system you use. Remember too if you do make a mistake safety at the company can go in and fix it. Hope this helps

4. pete1

pete1 Heavy Load Member

I think his point is that they create an unsafe condition because they force people to do things they wouldn't otherwise do, such as driving too fast in unsafe weather conditions or pushing through heavy traffic even though you are tired and should probably pull over.
    Those things are a doomsday clock ticking down to zero in your truck.
    I think you are also confusing illegal with immoral.
    it is not immoral to drive 20 minutes past 11 or 14 hours.
    In the same way that driving 70 in a 65 mph zone is not an immoral act.
    The real problem here is the inflexibility of the law.
    If laws are unjust and unworkable, people will break them; it's human nature.

volvodriver01 and rollin coal Thank this.
  5. extraenterprises

Mar 20, 2013
    warren indiana
    I completly agree that the problem is the inflexibility in.the regs. Where we differ is the thought that an inanimate object can somehow force us to do stupid things. Anyone that would drive too fast in bad weather shouldnt be out here in the first place nor should anyone thats tired. Theres already laws against that not to.mention its very unprofessional. Have I lost a little time when I didnt have enough time to get to the next stopping place so I pulled over 45 minutes early? Yes. Thats beenmade up many times over from the time the unit has saved me.
    In the end its no different than running a completly accurate paer log. (Paper log). The thing that takes some getting used to is that you plan a little differently and pretty soon you find yourself using time moer efficiently( or at least I do). Like you said the problem is in the regs not the recording device. Btw: I despise the mandate too. If a guy doesnt want to run them and hes compliant he shouldnt have to. Personally you couldnt pry mine away from me. Shippers and recievers know I have it,they know I can prove when I get there and leave and they know its hard to argue against detention time with that info. I save tons of time at docks. Roadside checks? Just hand the man the tablet 9 times out of 10 he just hands it back without looking. Even when he does I dont have to worry that I didnt put a line in the right place or that it wasnt up to date. I just relax:).

RickG Thanks this.
  6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Too many dummies out here that will allow an inanimate object force them to do something. Just as they would allow a dispatcher to do the same. Originally this is what HOS regs were intended to do. Give drivers a leg to stand on and say no. It seems now the regs do just the opposite. It's funny you bring up grey areas like dispatch editing elogs, or personal conveyance.... these are used as little more than excuses to bend rules now and then no different than paper. As far as efficient time management goes I figured that one out long time ago under the old HOS regs, no 34 hr reset, 8 hour rest break, a split sleeper that could be explained by10 different DOT cops in the same simple manner... ...I use DDL which is basically same as EOBR only not plugged into ecm.. it saves time making recaps, etc a mindless task.. ....it also made split sleeper something I can utilize without worry although oddly enough I never do..

Sent from my droid using Tapatalk 2

RickG, pete1 and volvodriver01 Thank this.
  7. extraenterprises

Mar 20, 2013
    warren indiana
    Sounds like you have a system.that works for you. Glad to hear it. As for the dummies: yup...theyre out there and have been for a long time. Like I said they dont belong in a truck with or without elogs.

8. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Regulations are geared towards the masses and not the individual. And while it may be fun to get all worked up and raise our blood pressure over this we are arguing based on a set of facts that I think we can all agree does not exist in this industry.

Common Sense.

The regulations have been increasing because we have proven time and time again that drivers and carriers to not have this. And to set our fate in stone, over the last decade as regulations have been increasing, driver behaviour has become worse BUT safety measurements have been improving. So when you look at safety from an industry standpoint it has gotten better but when you look at overall driver behavior and standards it has gotten worse.

Now, the deteriorating standards had arrived before they really started cracking down. And the argument that this regulation or that piece of equipment is causing a driver to behave in an unsafe manner just doesn't fly with any rational person. Personal responsibility is personal responsibility. To allow someone to justify it because of some government regulation just gives others a good example of why they need to find ways to increase regulations.

EOBRs are a done deal. Accept it and move on. Any argument against them from a safety standpoint can only be seen in the light of "he can't cheat as easily". And that just fuels the fire of safety advocates. Even the business expense argument is gone. These units are getting cheap and the efficiencies far outweigh the costs.

About the only solution to turning the tide on this whole thing would have been the industry (i.e. drivers) taking responsibility for expecting and demanding safe and professional standards. But I fear that ship has sailed and trying to get other drivers to do what it would take to get unsafe drivers off the road would be impossible.

RickG and MackDaddyMark Thank this.
  9. extraenterprises

Mar 20, 2013
    warren indiana
    I agree for the most part but I have to add that I think at least part of the reason for the worsening driver pool is that nobody seems to respect trucking anymore(including government) Why would any number of people with self respect choose trucking now?
    Not all newcomers are bad.some do it oit of love for it but most just want to be paid tourists after 3 weeks of us express school. The old hands out here are starting to get discouraged with the state of things.
    Witheach new regulation a few more of us leave. Pretty soon its going to be all 3week wonders and everyone will scrat ch their head and wonder what happened.

RickG Thanks this.
  10. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    I figured since we were bringing things into this discussion that has no bearing in here I could add some of my own...

Want to come over? I have some plumbing problems, but I know how to log. One thing is clear, namely, arguing changes nothing. Also, cheaters are cheaters. One of the things I don't appreciate about electronic logging is when I'm sitting at some consignee dock for 5 or 6 hours, and they kill my clock for me. "Safe Haven" ... right. The good news? Anyone?

11. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    It is amazing when you raise the bar how people will rise to the occasion. But so many carriers are running scared that by raising the bar that they will have turnover go from 100+% to 150% so they do what they do and get what they get.

Good news? If you are a premium carrier you can get great rates and attract the cream of the crop in terms of drivers. Then you sit back and sigh when you see all the drivers acting like idiots.

Personally, I think the safety stats are getting better because companies are getting rid of drivers that are exhibiting risky behavior before they get comfortable with that behavior and cause a major accident. I have talked to several companies that put 20-30% of driver turnover from them firing drivers after minor accidents. Even back in 2008 they would have kept the same driver on.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.