Landstar / EOBR

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Truck609, Aug 5, 2012.

1. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Howdy. I hope you're doing ok.

I think his point is, is that if you skirt the reg's with an eobr you're gonna get caught....

In the old days, (especially with the looseleaf style), you could make "adjustments".

Now I could really care less about the EOBR, except for that darn 14 hr clock, (and c'mon, admit it, you don't like that 14 hr clock either).

11 hrs of driving in a day is plenty, the problem is, you may not be allotted enough time to actually drive your 11, cause see, you have to fit it into 14.... which is really only 13.5, what with the mandatory 30 min break and all... They should have extended the 14 hr window out to 16.5, do that and I don't think anyone complains much... oh, and trim the 10 hr break requirement down to 9, this way I don't get stuck sitting around for 2.5 hrs before I can actually start driving, now, it'll only be an hour and a half....

Lone Ranger 13 and MackDaddyMark Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Eventually everyone is going to be down to 8 hrs of driving a day, fit within a 9 hr window, (instead of a 14 hr window, cause we all know that 14 hrs is just way to long for anyone to be awake..)

4. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Here's what John Q Public doesn't understand.... out here there are a couple of choices,

You can...

A) drive

B) eat

C) sleep

I sleep about seven hours and I'm up...

I get to sit in my truck and look out the window the rest of the time, (except when I'm sitting inside the truckstop eating and looking out the window)

If I'm going to be sitting in my truck and looking out the window, I'd prefer it to be going down the highway so I can at least be making money while I'm enjoying the scenery...

Lone Ranger 13 Thanks this.
  5. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Try it when you sleep less than 5 hours.

trees Thanks this.
  6. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Why would I do that??

(Does somebody hold a gun to your head and make you drive after only sleeping 5 hours?)

7. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007

Five hours is the most I ever sleep. Then I have to sit around and wait on the hours to go by till I can go. I only sleep between 11 pm to 4 am. After that I am wide awake.

You wake up after 7. I wake up under 5.

trees Thanks this.
  8. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    I guess some people need a regulation to tell them when they need to go to bed and when they need to get up.

Most of us mature to the point where we no longer need a parental authority figure to manage our time.

When I'm tired I sleep.

(and it's not cause the government told me to.)

9. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    Same here.

Seems many times I would be woke up at the ambulance building an hour after going to bed. Several calls later, the shift ends, 8 in the morning and still not to bed.

Worked on things around the house and went to bed when tired again at 11 the next night.

I can only sleep when I am tired, not when the book says it.

trees Thanks this.
  10. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Oh, I misunderstood you. Yeah, some of us can sleep 5 hours and go, I agree.....

I have slept 5 and drove 11, and done it a few days in a row... was I dangerously tired?

No.

Was I tired?

Yeah...

But was I sooo tired that my motor skills were impaired and I was a threat to public safety??

No.

The Feds themselves acknowledge this, they say the new HOS rules are out of concern for the drivers health, long term....

It's so great to have a government that thinks it's our parents, ain't it??

(If they were really concerned about our health they'd figure out someway to get nutritious meals into these truckstops that are hellbent on making fast food the only choice.)

11. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Personally, I think the new HOS rules are a revenue enhancement tool disguised as a public safety measure.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.