Landstar / EOBR

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Truck609, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    The question remains the same..... "and you are still there for what reason?" If you don't like what they are doing, pull your truck and go elsewhere. If you remain and allow them to do that, then you can only blame yourself.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Gravdigger, there is no way paper logs are quicker than eobr or ddl software. The time wasted on doing math for recaps on paper is a no-brainer with electronic. Form and manner violations won't happen period. You just plug in info and forget it.

Autocar and DrtyDiesel Thank this.
  4. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    So don't do it then. I am not telling you what you have to do. And as I stated in that same post, I am not going to lose any sleep over logging off duty driving to leave a customer property and go a short distance to park and finish the break. I already stated it wasn't compliant with the regs to do so if loaded, but it is LEGAL if you are empty. Your highlighted, bold, and red action was for no good argument with me. I am not going to get into a *&^%ing contest with a customer and have the law show up, have a record of the occurrence, have all those eyes on me and now risking having my logs scrutinized, or having the carrier terminate my contract for a bad situation with a customer. When it comes down to it, you have to leave.... legal or not. That is private property, and you can be prosecuted for trespass if they wanted to carry it that far. The local cops or sheriff could really give a rip if you are legal to drive or not. They don't worry about that stuff, but they do have to deal with that business who pays their salary thru taxes. And no DOT cop, state trooper, or a delegate from the FMCSA can force a customer to allow you to remain to finish a break even if your over your 14 or 11. Private property rights rule the day. I have no need to act like a kid and throw a tantrum. I will just leave, log it off duty (even if loaded) and travel a short distance to another parking location. No one will have a fit and the odds of this movement under a load being dinged in an audit are extremely low. If I allow it logged as DRIVING, then it will catch someone's attention because I drove over the 11 or 14 and I will be chastised by the carrier. I like to keep a low profile, and people hardly notice.

But those who want to be anal about the regs, feel free. It will not affect me negatively what you chose to do. I wish you all the luck in the world if the customer locks the gate at night when they close so you can't leave when your break is over, or if they call the law on you. If you want to tackle that, have fun.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
    DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  5. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thank you!

I wish I still had off duty driving available on my e logs for this reason.

I never argue with the customer, just go. I call dispatch, tell them what happened and all is well.

I just make sure I log it as "drove over hours for safe haven". Most of the time I leave a customer and sleep in an open lot or a parking lot because its only a few hundred feet from the customer. It doesn't put me on the drive line. So I just finish my break then leave. If I'm at a customer for say, 6 hours, and they make me leave after I'm loaded, I'll park for 4 hours, sleep a little, finish my break, then go to a truck stop and do another 10 so I can get some real sleep.

Ethan

Cowpie1 Thanks this.
  6. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    You have it right, Ethan. Just leave, gloss it over with the back office, they can make a note in the logs about it, and no one will remember, and the customer will not be ticked off at you or the carrier. When things are kept low keyed, it makes things a lot easier on everyone. I suppose a carrier can limit or not allow this off duty driving, and that shows a problem on their part and that they just like making life harder on themselves. But it might be because too many drivers abused this privilege afforded by the regs. That is why I only use it when absolutely necessary.

Cliff

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  7. DrtyDiesel

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Your right Cliff, we used to be able to use it but they updated our qualcomm and took it off. Lease owner/owner operators are allowed to use it though, just not company. Too many company guys using the truck personally.

If I know before I get to a customer that I'll run out of my 14, I call dispatch and tell them. Usually my pickup and delivery dates will be pushed back. If I'm gonna run out at a customer before being loaded I'll use Google maps on my phone to find an empty lot or big parking lot I can park in around the customer. Works most of the time. I'm not going to argue with anyone at a customer because I'm supposed to be representing my company, sounds cheesy but its true.

So far I've been put in two situations. Got out of them very easily. Logs are 110% legal, but I didn't sleep in the street that's for sure.

Ethan

8. TruckMafk

TruckMafk Light Load Member

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  9. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012

Let me know how that works for you then when Johnny Law pulls you over and you are driving around out-of-hours then.

Even if it is for "safe haven".

DOT officers I have spoken with about it don't like it.

10. DrtyDiesel

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Well even of you call the cops because your out of your 14 and the customer wants you to leave but you can't legally, their most likely going to make you leave or tell you to park in the street. If that happens, then why not just take your chances of driving to a place you can safely park and risk not getting caught. Or just park in the street. I said I wouldn't, but if its an industrial area with a low volume of traffic, I'll park in the street. Especially if I see other trucks do it. My only concern is having a place to use the bathroom.

Ethan

11. TruckMafk

TruckMafk Light Load Member

just in case

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.