Landstar Questions

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by Brickman, Jun 25, 2007.

1. dogcatcher

dogcatcher Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2010
    tn
    Gman where did you find the flat bed check list? have been asked before and never saw that list

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dewey120

Dewey120 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Southern California
    After hauling about 12 loads for the same agency they finally called me and told me about a couple of good loads they had that usually don't hit the load board. So that was a good feeling that they are finally trusting me enough to call me about good freight. So I got two solid legs on my triangle I am trying to setup for my 10 day run.

Also I need to take my CABS class pretty soon and how many days is it? I plan on taking it in Grand Praire and what days is it usually offered there? Thanks!

LSAgentOZR Thanks this.
  4. russellkanning

russellkanning Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Frost, TX
    I would guess one day. But I don't know.
    They held it here in Texas today.

5. richhawn

richhawn Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2012
    covington,IN
    It is only one day, if you do the safety class and business class.

Dewey120 Thanks this.
  6. Desert_Skies

Desert_Skies Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Victorville,CA
    Every new BCO's situation is unique so there is no cookie cutter answer for your questions. You seem to have a good grasp on your numbers which is a very good thing. Not wanting be home every week will be a big advantage if you bring a truck to Landstar,there is alot of money to be made but you have to be willing to hit it hard and run wild until you find your lane or lanes.

Check out lonemountain.com they have a business model that is geared towards helping new O/Os. Low downs and after 36-42 months the truck is yours,no balloon payment and no buyout. Payments average 1500.00 per month which would be very comfortable for you given your situation.

Everyone has a different number when it comes to truck purchasing and how much to hold back for maintenance. I would stay away from both new trucks and very used trucks,the reason being reliability. Alot of the new trucks are maintenance nightmares and even with a warranty your going to be screwed if your in the shop alot. Very used trucks require work to keep them on the road and if moneys tight one big repair could really hurt. Landstar will work with you after 90 days but its a case by case situation and not something you want to rely on when it comes to buying your truck.

7. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    That is a list that I put together based in part of what I needed when I started out pulling flats. One thing that I left off was a winch bar.

8. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    When I first started with Malone, they recommended much of what I listed, although I did add some additional items.

9. LSAgentOZR

LSAgentOZR Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I would avoid a high payment for my first truck. Get something inexpensive to "get you by" until you learn the system and make good connections.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
    G/MAN and Zangief Thank this.
  10. Sawmill2Driver

Sawmill2Driver Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Northern CA
    Thank You Big Joe... will check that out.

11. LSAgentOZR

LSAgentOZR Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Okay, I've got a little time to go into more detail about my post above. Why spend $1,500 a month on a truck when you can find a GOOD used one for $900-1200? Put that extra $300 a mo. into a savings/escrow and keep building your savings up. You can find good used trucks on LCAPP and can get on the BCO frequented forums and ask them for opinions on trucks. We're all out here to help each other and people will give you good opinions on good used trucks. Personally, if it were me, I'd get a "get me by" truck for my first rig, work hard, save money and when I had everything paid off and saved up, sell it and get what you want.

As far as a maintenance fund, put it like this. Take the cost of a "new" transmission or rebuild and double that, then add one month of the "salary" that you would pay yourself. That should be MORE than enough. Try and keep that all the time. I'm tight when it comes to my money so I may be overthinking it, but my philosphy is, you can never be too safe. Good luck. Let me know if I can answer any more questions for you.

Zangief and whoopNride Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted