Landstar questions

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Rattlehead808, Jul 31, 2016.

1. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    For less than $30k, you can get a far better pre emission truck with a rebuild history. I'm not trying degrade her 387, but their longevity and build quality isn't nearly the same as every other PACCAR product. For 20k, she can get a whole other running 387 and use the other one for spare parts.

The Boss Lady and spyder7723 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    The joys of having your own truck. My S60 Detroit let lose a piston when I was not planning on it. I ended up doing inframe but that when it was cheap. It was like $13,000 even with new head. I was going to just pay it back but some how it did not go as planned.

The Boss Lady Thanks this.
  4. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    If you could have got it home it would of been under 5. The real beauty of a 12.7 is they are so easy and simple to work on.

5. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I say new engine, but shop around, Pete will be expensive, only get a rebuilt engine that was done with genuine Cummins parts.
    When the motor is out a new clutch, CAC and radiator can be installed with no extra labor cost.

6. The Boss Lady

The Boss Lady Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Yeah, I've been racking my brain all day about this. I'd like to keep it and fix it because a "brand new" truck is not an option at the moment. I also look at buying another used truck. If I decide to take this route, it would be a pre-DEF/DPF. Out of all of the trucks that I have driven, I LOVE the Freightliner Classic with the Detroit 60!

Other than new tires and brakes, I put a in new alternator, air compressor, turbo, EGR cooler, and EGR Valve.

7. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    I'm partial to Detroit series 60, as most o/o are today. A brand new turbo for mine is $800, not $5k like the ISX. Good luck with your decision, but I would be dumping the 387. If it was a 386, I'd swap a series 60 in because all the parts to do it are made by the glider builders already.

8. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    ramblingman and The Boss Lady Thank this.
  9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    How do you get rid of a truck that has a busted motor in it? Ok, put it in truck paper. Who's going to buy that and what kind of money will it bring? Sounds like a great way to lose a lot of money. None of the choices she's facing are appealing but how do you guys envision getting rid of that truck without losing a shirt beyond just saying "get rid of it"? Nobody is going to buy or trade for a truck like that.

10. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Yup you can't just dump a truck even more trouble when the engine is no good. Probably no good easy answer. Put 30k for a rebuilt new emissions engine. That not easy unless someone has an extra 30k sitting in the bank. It not like you can just walk way from the truck or sell it because you will lose lots of money.

11. villageidiot

villageidiot Light Load Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Deep South Texas
    I would look at it like this. Not what's it worth, but what can you get out of it by fixing it. I don't know the condition of the truck obviously and don't know your situation. But if the truck is a decent truck and has good tires, brakes, transmission etc. it wouldn't be a hard decision. Only you know what you are comfortable with. But if you think you can get a good used engine or crate engine and roll on and make money and recoup, then that's what I would do. You at least know what you have. You get another used truck and you could be worse off or maybe better off but you don't know. At least you know this truck!!! Hard to say what to do!! Good luck

The Boss Lady and ramblingman Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.