Launching in the morning!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Hamsterrock74, Nov 30, 2010.

1. localmack

localmack Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Illinois
    Hamsterrock74 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

:evil3::smt077 :smt075

:biggrin_25513:

American Trucker

123456 Thanks this.
  4. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Hamster

Think long and hard about the lease/fleece deal.

There are tons of threads on here talking about pros and mostly cons of the lease.
    You may get more freedoms but you also may lose more in the end if you can't make a payment and you are still basically a company driver.

5. American-Trucker

Nov 8, 2009
    If you are that financaly free and arent worried about the risk, just go buy a truck! Why rent when you can OWN!

American Trucker

6. Hamsterrock74

Hamsterrock74 Medium Load Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Marietta Ga
    I read that thread and reread it again,thanks for that.
    Yes I have also read many threads on the fleace.The thing about Roehl is they dont activley recruit for their lease,you go to them.I am and have been a big fan of this company but have also talked to L/Os and OOs have heard the positive which has been the majority and negatives which were strong.One example was a LO that had 6 months left,he claimed crapy miles to starve him off his lease..He walks they release..I had no reason to not beleave him.He was stuck with me waiting at a shipper for 12 hrs.I ran into him agian in Dayton where he picked my load up from the yard to take it 20 mi to deliver.I wittnessed it..I do not know what if anything he did to deserve that.
    I also understand that Ill be a glorified company driver,I like the company so thats ok.
    Buying a rig out right is out of my reach..for now,but 1 of the reasons I thought about leasing is to taste the OO side,if it didnt work I walk.
    I am an average driver at best so this is a worry,I learn somthing new all the time but without the experience Ill struggle.This is a worry..
    I have a tiger by its tale and its exciting to think about but I dig risk.
    Dont think Ive made my mind up,I take every word I read serously and think on them.

sammycat Thanks this.
  7. American-Trucker

Nov 8, 2009

i didnt say buy a truck outright, not many can afford to do that even an old truck.

If your paying $300+ a week to rent a truck, thats over $1,200 a month! You can go to a dealership and finance a truck for allot less then that and not be stuck with Roehl. Plus it doesnt have to be a red POS, you get to pick it! lol You can still lease it onto roehl if you like them that much

American Trucker

8. Hamsterrock74

Sep 23, 2010
    Marietta Ga
    Good point,but if it didnt work out Id get stuck with a repossed on my credit report and that option would be closed for awhile.I figure make the rent payment to a company you dig get that experience then go buy the truck,or the 1 you leased for 7k.If it still works of course lol

9. Luzon

Luzon Medium Load Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    I'd like to suggest two things.

1. Give it a few more months before making THAT move into a lease. During that time, at least explore the option of buying a truck from a few different dealers. Let them run the numbers for you. Also during that time (I have no idea what your financial situation is of course) start putting an extra $200 or so per week into the bank. If after these few months that extra $$ going into the bank hasn't affected your ability to pay your bills etc and hasn't impacted your families situation then you may be a good candidate to do the O/O thing. Plus, you'd have some extra $$ set asside for when you do make the move.

2. If you aren't already 100% out of debt (not counting a mortgage) I'd work on that very hard first. It's amazing what doors open when you don't have any credit bills, hovering over your head.

Whatever you decide, best of luck. I sent you another PM too btw.

Hamsterrock74, sammycat and vmaggs Thank this.
  10. Hamsterrock74

Sep 23, 2010
    Marietta Ga
    Great advice,I have been putting $500 a week for the last 2 months..lost some of it playing cards in PA about 600 but have replaced it.I felt in order to do this I should have a min of 4k in the bank until my escrow can catch up.Other then the home and we only have 1 car nissan versa we are debt free.Also been keeping an eye on my mpgs and prices..Still going to take the advice and wait for a few months.

11. Hamsterrock74

Sep 23, 2010
    Marietta Ga
    Food Lion in Salisbury NC...Wow that was bad..Had a 0900 appt and got there at 0800 parked and got in line to get checked in and assigned a door,had to write a com-check for 155 and was assigned my door.Got docked at around 0830 and did not leave till 14:20..They regected 6 cases of the generic facial tissue I was hauling,which the damage was very minor..So I have a life time supply of kleenex..This place was awful no regard for a people who drive for a living.O'well its over with..Picked a load up to relay off in Dayton got that done and have a load that I am under till Monday..So a nice day off for fathers day at the Petro for me.Sleep in had a early day and could use the rest for what I hope will be a busy week.

Wedge Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.