Lawsuit for detention ??

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by skinnytrucker79, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Rickp

Rickp Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Ward, AR
    truck driver is an exempt catagory from the fair labor standards so they have always gotten away with not paying detention. times are changing though

skinnytrucker79 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skinnytrucker79

skinnytrucker79 Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Menards isn’t a company you can sleep at because of the multiple departments . “Hill”, Treat, Reload, Steel. Etc. It might some days take 30 min at the “hill” or they will take 2-3 hours then say go to... Treat and so on . If they had a more stable routine where a drive could get rest would be nice but the driver is always moving on the property ... still drivers are exempt from any “laborer laws” I remember a debate why their wasn’t any minimal wage for trucking and it all comes back to the standard excuse “that’s just the way it is” ... I do hope the one thing a full Elog mandate will do is make customers and employers accountable. Right now obviously it doesn’t matter . Mega carriers don’t care ... oh driver #1353554677532145 sat too long “shrug”

4. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    You already have a choice. As do I. I don't go to Menards to load anything. Definitely not enough pay for all the bs.

nax and skinnytrucker79 Thank this.
  5. skinnytrucker79

skinnytrucker79 Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Company driver I don’t get a choice but the boss knows my opinion of Menards anytime I get sent there. He practically pats them on the back when they get a truck loaded in 2-3 hours . I’ve never seen it done in anything less . They sit on their forklifts staring at their phones right in front of your truck or they disappear for 30 min to a hour at a time, ram the side of your trailer bending the rails , half the time you can’t get it to close on a curtain side they got it sticking out past the rails . On and on . Cheap laborer with no work ethic

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Neither one of those have to be. It's just done that way as the shipper/receiver don't care about the drivers time. Both of those cases they could either use a steel rack that can be loaded with the specialized product like carpet or tires. They can then be staged before the dock time, and loaded in no time once the truck gets there. They refuse to have the extra expense of the racks, and shipping back said racks back. But it is still the fault of the dock 100% of the time.
    Heck, they could simply do 100% drop and hook, but again they would have to pay trailer rental on both ends, yard dogs, land, etc...

7. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    I don't think the new mandate is going to change anything. I have not been on paper logs for over 7 years and the vast majority of the other companies that I routinely run into are the same. I have worked off e-logs for 3 companies, Schneider Bulk, Trimac and Superior. Meaning, I never touched a paper log. E-logs have been the norm for years now, paper the distinct outlier.

While you will never hear me defending shippers or receivers that waste time, I don't see anything changing.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You guys are funny.

Here is the thing those crying about elds don't seem to know.

A group of drivers taking customers to court over dentition time, they will find themselves out of business or fired, this is a customer driven industry and the customer dictates the market.

9. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    That is true, customers have the power. There will always be someone who will run the freight and deal with the delay.

10. Experienced Trucker

Experienced Trucker Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2018
    FedEx Ground in a few terminals like Atlanta GA., Portland OR., and Olive Branch MS. have a VERY BAD HABIT & have dozens of trucks WAITING to be loaded for 10-12 hrs before finally dispatching' Atlanta GA. routinely has dozens of trucks SIT n WAIT for 10+ hrs, only to dispatch them empty to Olive Branch MS to SIT n WAIT another 10+ hrs before they dispatch. Also they do NOT dispatch when the loads are actually ready but instead wait UNTIL a certain time then dispatch everyone at once, creating the cluster mess effect where everyone's waiting on another to hook before they can etc.. With ELD's, this free waiting time will eventually come to light when drivers (even teams) don't make the schedule. When a driver isn't being paid for his time, then he/she goes elsewhere PERIOD. Too many sit and complain but take no action. Until 20 trucks that usually sit n WAIT for 10-12 hrs refuse loads and say PAY ME MY TIME, then free time will continue. Now we're not crying about legitimate wait times of an hour or two now and then when it's BUSY, but a CONSTANT WAIT of 10-12 hrs. @ certain terminals where the driver sits & isn't paid won't cut it too much longer when ELD's are recording all this down time. This is from 35 yrs. experience. We got into this business to MAKE $$$, NOT to SIT for hours n hours on end, and not be paid for OUR TIME.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  11. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    If you encounter this on more than one occasion, WHY are you still there pulling FEDEX Ground freight???
    Take your truck somewhere else and make your money.

Tug Toy, Jazz1 and windsmith Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.